FOUR

AFTER DINNER THEY CONGREATED in Fitz's room. Biana's was a warzone: it still had pillows strewn all over the floor, so it wasn't really a good option unless they wanted to clean it first. "So, what are we doing?" Sophie asked. "I'm totally up for making mallowmelt as a post-dinner, pre-bedtime snack."

"Of course you are," the others chorused.

"Hey!" Sophie protested. "Don't act like you don't want mallowmelt too, because I know you all do."

"Fine, let's go," Biana conceded, standing up and pulling Sophie up beside her. "Did you happen to bring Edaline's recipe? My mom's just isn't as good."

"Della's mallowmelt is delicious," Sophie argued as they made their way down the grand staircase. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Did you bring the recipe or not?"

"I have it memorized," Sophie laughed. "I take it with me everywhere."

"Come on!" Biana whispered, running into the kitchen.

"Why are we whispering?" Sophie whispered back.

"Cause it's almost bedtime and my parents would so not be cool with this."

"Of course they would," Sophie giggled. "It's me. Your parents love me!"

"Sometimes more than they love me," Biana joked. "Now come on, what do we need?"

Two hours later, they had a fresh batch of mallowmelt sitting on the counter.

"Do I smell mallowmelt?" Alvar asked, walking into the kitchen behind his dad. It had taken a long time for them to repair their relationship, but they were finally back on good terms.

"Alvar!" Sophie said, running up and hugging him. "Where were you during dinner?" she demanded, looking accusatorially at both of the new additions to the kitchen.

"Dad and I were out at the lake. Dad got some new kelpies and he wanted to make sure they were settling in alright. I just tagged along to see them. Kelpies are the coolest!"

"Kelpies?" Sophie asked. "As in half horse, half dolphin?"

"Close enough," Alvar said. "Now what do I have to do to get some fresh mallowmelt?"

"Ask nicely," Biana said, holding out a plate.

"Biana, my only and favorite sister. May I please have some of your exquisite smelling dessert?"

"Yes, Alvar, my oldest and favorite brother."

"Hey!" Fitz protested, walking in with Keefe. "You told me I was your favorite yesterday!"

"Exactly," Biana said. "I said that yesterday."

Watching Biana and Fitz's good-natured sibling banter was when Sophie missed Amy the most. And Keefe seemed to notice her change in mood. While Fitz and Biana were fighting, Keefe slid up next to Sophie. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Sophie sighed. Then she changed her mind and added, "It's times like this that I miss Amy the most."

"Amy," Keefe mused. "That's your human sister, right?"

"Right," Sophie answered, surprised he remembered. She'd told him about her human family on one of their excursions to the Forbidden Cities, but that was a long time ago.

As if he'd read her thoughts Keefe answered, "Way back when Fitz first brought you here, he talked with me about your family and making you leave them a lot. He wasn't sure he'd done the right thing. Sometimes he's still not sure" They both looked at their friend as he smeared a glob of mallowmelt on his shocked sister's nose. "If it's worth anything, I'm glad he brought you here," Keefe added after a moment. "Life wouldn't be nearly as interesting without you."