TWELVE

SOPHIE COULDN'T DECIDE whether to be relieved that her first day healing minds in Exile had been postponed, or even more freaked out as she followed Alden and Bronte into Tribunal Hall. It wasn't that she was nervous to heal all of the prisoners' minds...well, it was a little bit of that, but also because she was nervous about what would come after. This wasn't like the last time she'd performed a mind break. That one was completely Alden; all she'd had to do was stay connected to keep him from getting pulled under. If she went through with what the Council wanted her to do...she'd be breaking a mind. By herself. Without even Fitz to back her up if she got pulled under. It was more than a little concerning.

But at the same time, whatever she was walking into now wouldn't exactly be a cakewalk either. She was about to face the entire Council; asking them to reconsider their decision not to give her a Matchmaker's Scroll was going to be a challenge. And that was just the asking part!

But then again, where did they get the power to decide who did and who didn't deserve a Matchmaker's Scroll? Wasn't that supposed to be the job of the Matchmakers? The Council wasn't exactly qualified in her opinion. And to deny her one? Everything she'd done for the past four years had been for the Lost Cities. Granted, a lot of it had been in a roundabout way, but in the end she'd only helped them!

Alden caught her eye as he opened the doors to the Tribunal Chamber. His confident smile cleared her head, and the nervous fog she'd been living under for the past 24 hours dissipated. She deserved a Scroll. Alden believed it, Terik believed it, Oralie believed it...even Bronte believed it! She deserved a scroll! If she was calm in there today, if she showed them how ridiculous their decision was, she couldn't lose.

She walked through the doors with her head held high.

Over the years she'd memorized nearly every detail about the cavernous space. But for some reason, today the grandeur seemed slightly superfluous. The Councillors sat in their usual places in their usual finery, dripping with precious metals and jewels. Alden took his usual place as a buffer between Sophie and the Councillors. Sophie took her usual place at the podium, ready to defend herself. But for some reason, everything felt different today, excessive. Was it really necessary to hold a private Tribunal in Tribunal Hall just to discuss whether or not she should be allowed to apply for a Matchmaker's Scroll? Couldn't they just meet in someone's office. Or—since they were Councillors—someone's castle? Preferably Edaline's pink castle. It was harder to be terrified when pink was involved.

A chill that had nothing to do with the temperature wracked her body when she met Councillor Alina's steely eyes, and she wished, not for the last time, that she had been brave enough to tell her foster parents the truth. Maybe they could have helped her win this fight. Looking at the set faces of the Council, Sophie's previous confidence wavered. She could already guess the verdict wouldn't be in her favor. And there was absolutely nothing she could say to change it.

She bit back tears of despair as Councillor Emery stood, assessing her with emotionless eyes. "Sophie Foster, the Council has decided not to approve your request for a Matchmaker's Scroll. Alden Vacker has gathered us here on your behalf to ask us to appeal our previous decision. Why do you think you are worthy?"

Sophie felt oddly detached from herself as she answered. "Why do you automatically assume I'm not?"

"Bold words for someone in your position," Councillor Alina chimed from her seat next to Councillor Emery.

"Well at least I'm clear about it," she said. "I'm still confused about your position on the matter."

"Miss Foster, we've been very clear with our position on the issue," Councillor Emery said with a significant glance at Councilor Alina. "We've decided not to issue you a Matchmaker's Scroll."