TWENTY EIGHT

SOPHIE THREW THE DOOR open without another thought, pulling her friend into a tight hug. "What are you doing here?" she demanded. "How did you find us?"

Dex muscled out of her hug and raced into the apartment, grabbing their coats from by the door. He threw Sophie's coat at her, and grabbed Keefe's arm. "We have to leave. Now."

"What's the matter?" Sophie asked, her heart dropping to the pit of her stomach. "Are you okay?"

"I did something very, very bad," he said, tugging them toward the door. "For a good reason, but still very bad, and now you guys need to get out of here."

"Dex," Sophie said, dread gripping her in its hand. "What did you do?"

"Mr. Dizznee," a deep voice said from behind them. A familiar voice. A voice Sophie had thought she'd never hear again. "Why am I not surprised to find you here?"

Dex froze, his entire body tensing like the voice had given him an electric shock.

Sophie, Dex, and Keefe turned as one to face Councillor Emery, who'd just leapt into the middle of the living room.

Along with the rest of the Elvin Council.

Dex froze, his grip tightening around Sophie and Keefe's arms like a vice.

"I hope your little show of teenage rebellion was worth it," Councillor Alina said, stepping up next to Councillor Emery. "Because it has well and truly ended."

Dex's hands released Sophie and Keefe's arms and went to press against his stomach. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, his voice cracking and tears forming in his eyes.

Sophie bit her lip. Grabbing Dex's hand she turned toward the door, ready to run, only to find it blocked by an unfamiliar goblin.

"We have the entire building surrounded," Councillor Emery announced loudly, a note of finality in his voice, "and the use of force has been authorized. Attempting to flee would be unwise."

"How did you find us?" Keefe demanded, stepping forward and drawing the Council's attention away from Sophie and Dex. But she didn't know what he wanted her to do. Although her adrenaline levels were high, there was nowhere for her to jump from to teleport, and if all the exits were truly blocked...

Councillor Alina sneered at Keefe, and then turned to Sophie. "How do you think we found you? Your friend Mr. Dizznee led us right to you."

Sophie stiffened next to Dex, but she felt no anger. She'd had an inkling since she first saw Dex outside her door. Tears streamed down Dex's cheeks. Sophie squeezed his hand to let him know she held no hard feelings. Only frustration at herself.

How could she have deluded herself into thinking this would work?

Keefe pulled a melder out from behind his back. Sophie didn't know where he'd gotten it, and she had a feeling everything was about to go South as soon as she saw the light from the doorway behind them glinting off the dark metal.

She wasn't wrong.

"We're not going back with you," Keefe told the Council, waving the melder at them menacingly.

"Don't be dramatic, Mr. Sencen," Councillor Emery said sternly. "You will be coming back to the Lost Cities with us, and I've already said we will use force if necessary. I advise you don't make it necessary."

"Stay back!" Keefe yelled at Bronte, who'd taken a step forward, his mouth open. Bronte closed his mouth sourly and stopped mid-step.

"What are you going to do with that, Mr. Sencen?" Bronte asked doubtfully. "You're not going to be able to incapacitate all of us before we retaliate, there are goblins surrounding this building - including just past that door frame - and attacking a Councillor is a serious offense. You could be Exiled."