FOURTEEN

"WHAT IN EXILE JUST HAPPENED?" Sophie asked tightly, trying to keep her temper in check. Fitz looked like he was still processing what had just happened, his face frozen in the dictionary definition of shock.

Alden looked disturbed as well. "I believe you just got engaged."

"How?"

"Well...Councillor Emery just approved your engagement."

"But we're not engaged!" Sophie said, gesturing frantically between herself and the still frozen Fitz. "He can't approve an engagement that doesn't exist! We're not even dating for Oblivimyre's sake."

"Well, the Council does have the authority to force engagements. Alone he doesn't have the authority, but he stopped by today to inform me there will be Tribunal for both of you tomorrow at noon."

"I'm telling Edaline and Grady," Sophie warned him. "I won't lie to them again."

"I'm not asking you to. In fact, the Council would prefer if they were in attendance."

"Really?"

"They can't proceed without the approval of your guardians."

"They know Grady is going to flip, right? This is insane. He'll never agree."

"Of course. They've prepared for that."

"How? He can mesmerize them all into changing their minds."

The tips of Alden's mouth twitched, as though he was trying to prevent a bemused smile. "That's not quite how Grady's ability works."

Sophie ignored him. "Is Fitz going to be okay?" she demanded, examining her friend.

"Yes. Just give him a moment to process everything." Alden sank back into his seat and put his head in his hands, resting his elbows on his desk.

Sophie waved a hand in front of Fitz's face, but he didn't respond. He must have gone into shock. It was the only explanation, because it wasn't like him to freeze up when something bad happened. That was more Biana's thing. Fitz usually got mad. And frankly, his silence was scarier than if he were yelling and throwing things.

"So what do we tell Keefe and Biana and everyone?" Sophie finally asked Alden, sinking into the chair Councillor Emery had just vacated. It was still warm, which really bothered Sophie for some reason. She didn't want any traces of Councillor Emery left in her chair.

Alden raked a hand through his hair and sighed as he leaned back. "Tell them someone at the Matchmaker's Office thought it would be amusing to play a practical joke on you, and that tomorrow at noon the Council will personally deliver your Scrolls."

That plan had some significant holes, two of which had names that rhymed with leaf and Brianna. "What happens when people want to see these highly anticipated Scrolls?"

"You'll just have to pretend to be so in love none of them will ever question it."

Fitz finally unfroze, startling Sophie when he laid his hands on the back of her chair. "I don't think Keefe is going to settle for not seeing our Scrolls. He'll sneak into our houses and tear everything apart trying to find them."

Alden rubbed his temples. "It's not a perfect plan," he finally agreed, but his voice sounded resigned, defeated.

"It's far from perfect," Sophie said, trying to make him see. "No offense Fitz."

"Right back at you. I just don't see how this could possibly work."

They both stared at Alden, waiting for him to come up with the magical solution to erase all their problems. And impossible hope, and all three of them knew it.