SEVENTEEN

TURNED OUT, DINNER WITH Fitz was definitely worth waiting for.

Biana and Linh came over to help Sophie get ready because—even though Fitz was keeping the entire plan super top-secret-hush-hush-need-to-know in order to surprise Sophie—Biana had somehow figured out exactly where he was taking her. Most likely using her wonderful Vanisher skills. That meant, Biana knew exactly what Sophie should wear to the date.

Which greatly benefitted Sophie, because if she was certain about one thing, it was that she was absolutely hopeless at hair and makeup.

"Are you sure about this?" Sophie asked, glancing hesitantly at the reflection of her pale lavender dress in the mirror. It was pretty, with plenty of tulle and glitter as it floated down to her knees, but it wasn't the dramatic, bold style she'd grown accustomed to being forced into over the years.

"What you mean is, 'why didn't I put you in red?'" Biana clarified.

Sophie sighed in relief, glad that Biana had been friends with her long enough to understand what she was thinking. "Exactly."

"Red is definitely your color," Biana agreed, "but you wouldn't want to wear it out. You can't wear red all the time, or it won't be special anymore. Just you wait, I bet my two rarest Prattles' pins Fitz'll say something about liking red for the next date."

"N-Next date?" Sophie stuttered. She hadn't even started thinking about the possibility of a 'next date.'

"Of course there's going to be another date, Sophie," Biana sighed, shaking her head at Sophie's naiveté. "You're engaged. Going on dates is what engaged people do."

Sophie pursed her lips at the flat tone of Biana's 'duh' voice. She didn't quite agree with Biana's assessment. This was her first date with Fitz. Heck, this was her first date ever. She wanted to knock Fitz's socks off!

But Biana's reasoning also made sense. If she wore red too much it wouldn't be as impressive any more. Eventually, the shock factor would wear off, and Fitz would probably grow bored with her—a thought that sent a chill running down Sophie's spine.

"Plus, considering where you're going, you'll want to wear a softer color," Linh added, snapping Sophie out of her worries. "Red is a little too bold for the occasion."

"Biana told you?" Sophie asked, her jaw dropping.

"I did not!" Biana said indignantly, and Linh just smiled.

"Fitz asked me for help planning your date," she explained, glancing sidelong at Biana.

"Are you kidding me?" Biana exploded, whirling around to face Linh in disbelief. "I thought he hailed Tam all those times."

"He did at first, but he quickly discovered Tam had no interest in helping him plan a date for Sophie. He just kept asking about a certain someone else," Linh said mysteriously.

Sophie giggled as Biana frowned. "He knows Fitz is taken, right?" Biana finally asked, her face pinched with concern as she glanced in Sophie's direction.

Linh guffawed. "Biana, he wasn't asking about your brother."

Biana thought for a second. Then her cheeks turned pink. "Me? Tam was asking about me?"

Linh nodded, and she and Sophie collapsed in a chorus of giggles.

"Stop it," Biana told them, frowning at them. "It's not that surprising. I am me."

"What's surprising is how oblivious you were," Sophie laughed. "You had absolutely no idea he liked you!"

Biana and Linh both raised an eyebrow at that.