THIRTEEN

EMOTIONS WARRED IN HER stomach as Sophie leapt home from Foxfire that afternoon. All afternoon she'd been torn between elation she'd convinced the Council to change their minds, and guilt she'd lied to Grady and Edaline about the Tribunal. They still thought she'd gone to Exile and started healing minds. This morning they'd been so proud of her. Edaline had even made blitzenberry muffins. And Sophie had to act like everything was fine, like she was excited to be healing instead of breaking for once. At least for the time being. To date, that had been one of her hardest...no, her hardest deception ever.

The peace of Havenfield's pastures contrasted her inner turmoil, and she walked slowly down the path to the house, tilting her head back and closing her eyes, as if she could draw strength from the sun's warm rays. A gentle breeze caressed her face as she opened the door, carrying the scent of mallowmelt. Her stomach revolted and she nearly lost her lunch right there.

"How was it?" Edaline asked brushing her hands together to dispel the remaining flour stuck to her fingers.

Stall! Stall! STALL! "I...ummm...is Grady here?"

"I think he's out with the gnomes working on the flaredon enclosure. Is something wrong?"

She wanted to pull out an eyelash, but she'd promised herself she wouldn't do that anymore. SSo she settled for nervously playing with the ends of her hair. "No, I just...I didn't go to Exile today." Avoiding Edaline's eyes Sophie dropped her bag and sat down on the couch.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Sophie." Edaline sat lightly next to her and pulled her in for a hug. "Did something happen with Bronte or did the Council just decide it wasn't a good day to start?"

Sophie's hand twitched at her side. 'I really am a horrible daughter,' she decided, guilt rearing its ugly head as the butterflies in her stomach went AWOL. "I didn't go to Exile, I went to Luminaria."

A pause. Then the dreaded, confused "Luminaria? What for?"

Sophie took a deep breath and promised herself that she would be better about lying to her parents in the future. "A Tribunal."

Crickets.

When Edaline finally responded her voice had taken on a hard edge. "I assume Alden knew about this."

Guilt's claws scraped up and down her arms, she could feel the phantom blood dripping down her fingers-Plop. Plop. Plop-as bile rose in Sophie's throat. "Yes."

"And Grady?"

"No I...I didn't tell either of you. We thought it would be best to wait until after."

"I see."

"Are you mad?" Sophie asked when she couldn't bear the interminable silence anymore.

"No. I'm just disappointed."

That somehow hurt worse.

"What was it for?" Edaline finally asked. She tried to cover up the pain in her eyes, but Sophie could see through the cracks. She had done this to Edaline. Granted, she'd been trying to protect her foster mother, but still. Edaline was obviously in a lot of pain. And it was all Sophie's fault for making a stupid decision and lying. Again. Why hadn't she just been brave and told them the truth?

"There was an issue with my Matchmaker's Scroll," Sophie lied, and Guilt came at her with its sharp teeth this time, ripping into her flesh and tearing from her bones like she was a prime rib. "They fixed it, it's all okay now."

"An issue that warranted a Tribunal?" Edaline asked skeptically.

Stall! Stall! STALL! "Well," Sophie hedged, "it was a decently sized issue."