Movie Night

"Hey, Steve." He was greeted at the door by Nat, her black skinny jeans and loose band tank making her look like the rebellious badass she was, "Oh, who's this? You finally have a boyfriend, or what? Can I finally stop trying to set you up with people?" She was smirking slyly, and both Steve and Bucky were blushing fiercely.

"Jeez Nat, I bring a friend to movie night once and you just assume we're a couple!" Steve said defensively, stepping inside with Bucky following him. "No, we are not dating. This is my friend Bucky." Bucky decided that just then was not the best time to thank Steve for letting him ride on the back of his motorcycle. Steve decided that just then wasn't the best time to mention that Bucky and him had dated in high school. It was pretty useless, though, because Natasha was kind've a world class stalker when she wanted to be.

Steve and Nat lead the way into a large living room with the curtains drawn to block out the fading sunlight. There was a large flat screen tv hanging on the wall.

"Hey guys!" Nat yelled at the people in the room, "Steve brought a little boyfriend!"

"We're actually not dating." Steve casually told the group, as if this was something he had to say often. Bucky glanced over at Steve. "This is my friend Bucky. He's a friend from high school. Haven't seen him in years till I met him at a coffee shop this afternoon."

The people in the room smiled and waved, then went back to their conversations.

"Right." Natasha said with a knowing smile. She'd clearly done her research.

"Alright, Buck, that's Clint, Wanda, Vi, Sam and Tony. You've already met Nat. She's the one I told you about." He whispered the last part sideways at Bucky.

"I heard that!" Nat hollered over her shoulder at Steve without even looking away from her conversation with Clint.

"What about me, man! I'm sitting right here!" Someone yelled from next to Tony.

"Oh, that's right." Steve said, rather dismissively, "That's Rhodey. C'mon, let's go sit on the couch."

Bucky observed the group of friends to better get a handle on where he sat. Besides: he enjoyed people-watching. They were quite friendly, if a bit loud. Bucky decided that he liked most of them at least. Clint was a little older, but not old old. He looked like a dad, but one of those cool dads who every kid revered. He had his hair gelled to a small point in the front, but other than that had a rather plain look: a faded gray t-shirt and black pants. He had a nice smile, though, and a nice laugh. He and Natasha were obviously close, and Bucky wondered if they were a couple.

"I see where you're looking. He's married and she likes to lone it. They've just been through a lot together." Steve informed Bucky. It was strange how easily Steve slid back into Bucky's life. It was as if they'd never left for college all those years ago. They were acting exactly the same as they had from the time they were eleven until they were eighteen, as if nothing had happened. It was honestly really nice. The only difference here was that there were more people and Bucky no longer had to protect Steve from bullies.

Bucky glanced over at Wanda and Vi. Those two were very definitely a couple. Vi was holding Wanda in her arms, playing with her long brown hair, Dyed red at the ends. Wanda was wearing a red leather jacket over a little black dress and black combat boots. Vi, with her arms wrapped around Wanda, had a really short Buzz cut, dyed bright red, presumably to match her girlfriend's hair. Vi was wearing red combat boots, black skinny jeans, a blue skin-tight shirt with long sleeves, a big gold statement necklace, and red glovelets. Despite the rebellious styles both were wearing, they also both had looks in their eyes of such innocence, as if new to the evils of the world. Bucky decided that they were honestly the most adorable couple he'd ever seen.

Tony was an interesting character. Everything out of his mouth was either snarky or sassy. It was clearly evident that this was his house. Correction: his mansion. It was huge. He was wearing a plain white shirt under an unzipped black hoodie with jeans, extreme casual, although it was evident that he'd be just as comfortable in a suit. He had that sort of vibe about him. Rhodey was harder to read, but basically seemed like Tony's best friend, not much else Bucky could gather. Maybe a bit more of a rule-follower than the rest, judging by his more conventional clothing styles, but nothing concrete to go off of with him.

Sam sat on the other side of Steve. The two were obviously close. It was obvious that Sam was Steve's new best friend. He had a military vibe about him, so Bucky guessed that was where Steve had met him, but perhaps he was wrong about that one. You never did know. Sam kept glancing between Bucky and Steve, somewhat suspicious, but mostly just trying to get a handle on what was going on. Steve was extremely polite, and people loved him, but since when did he just find random people from his past and bring them to movie night? He wasn't sure what was going on, but he definitely noticed Steve's blush. Steve didn't ever blush, so he kind've had an idea of the situation at hand.

Bucky was glad that Steve had found such a great group of people, but felt sort of out of place, especially with Tony and Sam. But, it was okay, because Steve was there, keeping things going, introducing people, pointing out shared interests. Nat automatically took a liking to Bucky, sitting on the other side of him on the now-crowded couch. She made lots of conversation with Bucky, and it was evident to him that she knew more than she was letting on to. He didn't mind though, because she was nice and funny, especially when she was teasing the others.

* * *

By the time they actually started the movie, Bucky had grown comfortable with Nat and Wanda, though Vi was extremely protective of her. They were watching some superhero movie involving a guy who took patriotism just a bit far, something Bucky wasn't particularly interested in, but he liked the atmosphere of the room. The sound was pumped up high (obviously Tony's doing) and it was so dark that you couldn't see the person sitting next to you at all, just the movie screen. However, Bucky couldn't help but notice Steve's warmth coming from the left of him.

Casually, as if it meant nothing, Bucky put his arm around Steve's shoulders. Nobody else noticed, because it was so dark, but Steve couldn't control his breathing. Bucky had put his arm around his shoulders. Could it be possible that the feelings they'd had for each other in high school were still there? They'd been close since they were small, ten or eleven. It wasn't until high school, though, that they started to develope feelings for each other. It didn't take long for them to start dating. Then college came, and that had been then end of a beautiful thing, or so they thought.

But now, Bucky's arm was around Steve, and it felt even more right than it had when they were young. Somehow, Bucky being transgender didn't change anything, and both men were relieved by that. Steve had kind've always seen Bucky as, well, he didn't really know what. He never had really seen him as one of the girls though, and, right now? This? This felt right. Bucky's arm around Steve's, the two men, in the darkness of the room. It just felt right.

* * *

"Hey, Steve!" Nat hollered out the door as Steve and Bucky left, "I expect to see both you and your boyfriend again soon!"

"He's not my boyfriend!" Steve called back, but his voice lacked conviction, and he was smiling. Bucky was blushing.

They got on Steve's motorcycle, Bucky holding Steve's waist to stay on, and Steve drove Bucky home. The wind blew Bucky's hair out of its bun, and it flew behind him as they rode under the stars. The bright night, the crisp wind, the warmth radiating off of both men as Bucky held Steve's waist. It was freeing.

"Thanks, Steve. Tonight was great." Bucky said as he unlocked his apartment door.

"Sure thing, Buck, thanks for coming. I had a really nice time. See you again soon?" He asked, hopeful.

"See you soon." Bucky agreed, "G'night Steve." He leaned in for a hug, unsure at first, but Steve spread his arms wide and they embraced. Steve felt the thin flatness, the lack of anything there but shoulders and chest. It was one of the things he liked most about guys, how their shoulders arch forward when they hug and there's nothing as far forward as those shoulders. Whatever those surgeons did must have been a miracle. Bucky was beautiful, though that was definitely not just because of surgery. It was because of Bucky.

"Goodnight, Bucky." He said, squeezing his old friend quickly before stepping back and turning around to hide his blush. He was hopeless.