PRIDE

Steve glanced at himself in the mirror once more. He wasn't so sure about this now that he'd done it, but there wasn't time to put anything else on now, so he just grabbed his keys and left his apartment for Bucky's. He had to wear his brown leather jacket in order to feel safe on his motorcycle, but it was okay. Hopefully the material wouldn't ruin what he'd done as his pride gear.

* * *

Bucky was just tieing his trans flag around his neck like a cape when there was a knock on his door. He grinned, thinking he knew who it was. When he opened his door, he had no idea what to say. Standing before him was Steve, shirtless, his whole chest painted like a rainbow flag. And Bucky had thought he'd been creative with his outfit. On the other side of the threshold, Steve was also staring, seemingly as surprised to see Bucky shirtless. He couldn't help but look at the six inch scars under Bucky's nipples and think that his chest was so beautiful. Also his abs. His abs were very beautiful as well.

Bucky was wearing rainbow sunglasses, knee-high rainbow socks in his sneakers, along with knee-length pastel blue shorts to match his trans pride flag. Also, rainbow suspenders, because they had looked so fabulous at the pride event last year, that he couldn't not wear them again this year. Steve had put on jean short shorts, completely unlike anything he'd ever worn before and somewhat terrifying to tell you the truth. As well as the shorts, he had painted a giant rainbow flag on his chest and had bold rainbow cuffs on his wrists. They looked very fucking proud walking out of Bucky's apartment building.

"So, where we gonna have lunch?" Bucky asked as they walked down the sidewalk, a couple blocks from the pride festival.

"Oh, there's this great sandwich shop. It's like, legitimately the only place in the whole city that'll let you in without a shirt on. Or so Tony claims. We'll see about that." Steve responded easily. They walked about half a block more, and then turned and opened the door to Ozzy's Sandwich shop. There were a bunch of other lgbt individuals decked in pride (some decked in practically nothing) also eating at the sandwich shop when they walked in.

* * *

"Alright. Ready to go out into the fray, then?" Steve asked, a questioning grin on his face as they finished their sandwiches. Bucky smiled and they got up, walking excitedly out of the restaurant, the jingle of the door sounding behind them. They could see the pride festival going on a block from where they stood. There were white tents put up, and people in rainbow clothes had flooded the streets and sidewalks surrounding them. They could hear Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" pumping out of speakers from somewhere within the crowd of people. Steve and Bucky turned to each other and grinned, wildly excited.

"This is gonna be amazing." Steve said. He glanced sideways at Bucky, then reached out and grabbed his friend's hand. Bucky was surprised by this, looking down at their clasped hands, but he didn't take his away. Neither did Steve.

It was like a rainbow explosion had hit the streets. The crowd shifted and people flung their arms in the air to the thumping beat of the loud music. Everyone had rainbow clothing on, gay couples were kissing in front of cellphone cameras, and Bucky and Steve were right in the middle of it. Part of it. The music pounded from speakers, and people's voices filled the air. The crowd jostled them, and the only thing tethering one to the other were their clasped hands. It was such a crazy, fun, wild atmosphere, adrenaline had instantly started pumping through their veins the moment they had seen it. They were not afraid in that moment. Bucky and Steve turned to each other and locked eyes, the crowd fading to a rainbow blur around them

Bucky placed his hand on the back of Steve's neck, pulling him to him. There was no fear. Only loud music and queer pride. He tilted his head to the side and kissed Steve. It was just like it had been in high school, but also so wildly different. So much had changed, but they were still the same people. At this point, there was no denying that they were absolutely smitten with each other. Any fool in the whole damn crowd could've seen that. When they backed their lips off each other, they were both blushing furiously. They'd just kissed in front of a thousand people.