You Dance Like A Dream

Steve heard a knock on his door. His face lit up, cheeks flushing at just the thought of who it would be. He leapt up from the couch, sending his sketchbook flying onto the cushion next to him. He opened the door before Bucky could finish knocking. But, it was only the post officer, there to deliver a package to Steve's door. He sighed, utterly disappointed, taking the package and closing the door with only a small "Thanks." He checked his clock again. There was still about four minutes until Bucky was set to arrive. He went back to his drawing.

There was another knock at the door, and Steve practically leapt out of his skin. He glanced at the clock, seeing that it was 8:09 at night. He had completely lost track of time. He closed his sketchbook and went to get the door. When he opened it, there stood Bucky, hands clasped behind his back, clean-shaven face smiling excitedly.

"You're late," Steve said, though his smile betrayed his teasing.

"Yeah, but at least I brought you flowers, right?" Bucky smirked a little as he pulled the small bouquet from behind his back. He handed them to the blushing Steve, who took them and then smelled them. They smelled really nice.

"Here, let me put these in, like, a vase before we go out. You can come in while I do that, it'll only take a second." He said, already stepping back into his apartment to find a vase. "You still not gonna tell me where you're taking me?" He asked as he filled the glass vase with water from the sink.

"Nope. But I promise you'll like it." Bucky said, smiling slyly.

"You know," Steve said, placing the flowers in the vase and setting it on the table, "I'm not sure whether to call this our first date or our eightieth."

"You were keeping track?" Bucky smiled, taking Steve's hand in his and striding towards the door of the apartment.

"Maybe just a little." Steve admitted, squeezing Bucky's hand in his as they walked out of the building to Bucky's car. It was an older car, maybe from the forties, kept in great condition by the likes of Bucky. Steve knew nothing of cars, but he did like to draw old ones like this. Maybe he could make a painting of Bucky's car sometime. Maybe he could make a painting of Bucky sometime. He kept this thought to himself.

"You're steed, good sir." Bucky said, opening the passenger side door for Steve with a flourish,

"Why thank you." Steve said, smiling as he played along with the joking conversation. Bucky got in on the other side, putting on his aviators and turning the ignition. As they drove away from the apartment building, both men's' hair blew around in the wind. "So, now are you gonna tell me where we're going?" Steve asked, having to speak up over the wind.

"I'm taking you dancing!" Bucky shouted back, grinning. Steve was a terrible dancer, and they both knew it. Bucky had tried countless times to teach him, but he never could get the knack.

"Really?!" Steve choked on his laughter.

"Hey, who knows? Maybe with your new physique you can finally dance with at least a little bit of gracefullness to you. But, if not, at least this time I'll be leading!" Bucky referred to how horrible it had been every time Steve had tried to take the lead when dancing back in high school.

"Where can you even go to dance around here?" Steve asked.

"Oh, you see," Bucky began, "There's this park near here that's got a dance and dinner thing going on tonight in this, like, giant tent. It's not exactly formal, but it'll be nice, I think." Bucky glanced over at Steve, relieved to see him smiling. Bucky was glad that he'd planned the date right. He really wanted this to go well.

* * *

"Hi, can I get a table for two?" Bucky asked at the entrance to a large white tent in a park.