Reminiscing

"You alright there, Bucky?" Steve asked, looking up at his boyfriend from his seat on the couch.

"Yeah. Just really sore, it'll go away eventually. Just took my T shot." He responded.

"Oh. Yeah, from what I've heard those are really painful. You want anything? Like something to drink, or ice or something?" Steve asked, placing his sketchbook on the drawing table.

"No, I'm alright. I just, like, can't really sit down right now. I need to walk around a bit." Bucky responded. He began walking slowly around the room with choppy steps. They were in Bucky's apartment, where Steve had been staying for awhile now. He just didn't like to have to leave Bucky alone, and they'd started to talk about officially moving in together soon.

"It's probably a good thing you don't have a fear of needles." Steve commented. Bucky laughed, which made his butt hurt even more.

"Yeah, that's true. But if I had a fear of needles, I would have gone with the gel. Either way though, it's totally worth it." He smiled, and Steve just loved how genuine it was. "You know how you didn't figure out you were gay until college?" Bucky asked Steve.

"Yeah. And?" Steve asked, raising his eyebrows and tilting his head curiously at his boyfriend.

"Well, I've got this theory about that. I think, like, maybe me presenting as female and, like, not realizing I was a guy, is what made you think you were straight in high school. Like, maybe it was confusing you almost as much as it was confusing me. You know?"

"Shit, Bucky! That's a weird theory." Steve spluttered, getting up from the couch and looking at Bucky incredulously.

"What?!" Bucky defended, "It could be true! Just think about it!"

"I think you're crazy, that's what." Steve said, walking over to Bucky and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, Steve. Who knows? Maybe I am crazy. It wouldn't be too shocking." Bucky said, his gravelly voice cracking slightly. Damn testosterone anyway. But, hey, at least his voice was lower. At least he had facial hair and all that jazz. All in all, it was worth it just to look in the mirror and see himself as he truly was.

"What are you thinking about?" Steve asked, noticing Bucky zoning out into his own world.

"Just, you know, testosterone. Surgery. Transitioning." Steve smiled: Bucky didn't think about his transition all the time, but whenever he did think about it, it always came with a wave of relief. Steve was relieved, too. Bucky was a beautiful man, and Steve could not have felt more in love. "So how about those girls, right? It's really great to see people so young making a difference on their worlds. Seriously, I never could have done anything close to that when I was in high school."

"Yeah, you could have. You definitely could have done it. Don't you remember how you used to beat up people who beat me up? You could have done it." Steve said.

"Well, I think you'd be more likely to have done something if you'd felt like it. You were always looking for a fight, ya little punk." Bucky said teasingly.

"Yeah, but I never would have made it out alive without dragging you in. So in the end it'd be you doing all the hard work. I'd never have admitted it, either." Steve reminisced,

"Now that is true." Bucky said with a smile, kissing Steve. Steve put his hand in Bucky's hair, completely ruining his man bun. Bucky felt Steve smile as they kissed. "Oh, god, I hate you." Bucky complained.

"No, you don't." Steve replied, pulling his face back with a grin.

"No, I don't. But I should." Bucky said, allowing Steve to wrap his arms around him in a warm hug.

* * *

You done packing?" Steve asked.

"Um..." Bucky responded, still stuffing things into a duffel bag with his metal arm.

"So that's a no, I take it." Steve said, walking back over to the door to stand waiting. He heard the sound of the zipper, presumably from Bucky's duffel bag. Soon after, Bucky came strolling out of the bedroom with his duffel bag slung casually over his shoulder. He really was a piece of art. "Ready?"

"Yeah." Bucky responded, following Steve out the door and locking it.

"So, you're driving." Steve told him, "Because I want to draw. Plus I'm tired."

"Yeah, that's really it. You just want to sleep while I do all the hard work."

"Yeah, pretty much. Sound good?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, fine." Bucky said.

"Wow, you gave up really fast." Steve commented. They both grinned, pushing the doors to the apartment building open, sunglasses on both of them. Nobody else probably even noticed them, but they felt really cool right then. Bucky closed the hatch of Steve's car, their bags within it. He went around and sat down, turning the key in the ignition.

Within three minutes of getting out of town Steve was fast asleep. Bucky glanced over at him every once in awhile. All the creases that were normally on his forehead when he was smiling, or thinking, or frowning: they were completely smoothed out. He looked like a doll: perfect. He had always looked sort've perfect when he was dreaming. Bucky remembered when they'd gone on a road trip during spring break of their senior year. They hadn't been able to afford a hotel, so they'd had to sleep in the car, and Steve had fallen asleep like a rag doll against Bucky's chest.

"Mmmm..." Steve mumbled in his sleep, shifting his head against the window. Bucky put his right hand on top of Steve's left one, enveloping it in his warmth. Nothing bad would happen to Steve wall Bucky was there. He'd always made sure of that, and he sure as hell was not gonna stop now.