What's Going On?

Polite applause came from where they knew the audience to be. They could not see any of the people, however, due to the spotlights that made them glow like light bulbs up on the stage. It had been their last presentation at a school, and it had gone better than any of the others, just by sheer audience response. This particular school was already particularly LGBT friendly.

Bucky held Steve's hand as they walked out to Steve's car, which was completely packed and ready for the drive back home. This time Steve would be driving, but Bucky didn't intend on falling asleep as Steve had. Instead, he was going to write.

"You know, I can't believe that those kids actually had the courage to stand up on those stages and talk about those things. It's really just so crazy." Steve said, closing the driver's side door behind him as he sat down at the wheel.

"I can believe it. Some people are just brave." Bucky said, looking over at Steve as he fiddled with his seatbelt. "Steve, you're the bravest man I've ever met." Steve looked up. "When we were kids, you picked a fight with anything that moved. I always thought you were being stupid and reckless. It was brave. Steve, you've always been so brave. You are just like those girls over there: you're brave." Bucky had no idea where he was going with that. After he said it, he kind've felt stupid because he knew it didn't make sense. Steve was just staring at him, not moving. Bucky looked down at his feet, embarrassed.

"Bucky?" Steve asked hesitantly from the driver's side seat. Bucky looked up. "Thank you." Steve said, the realness of it all making his head spin. He'd known Bucky all through his life, his childhood. Oh, how special Bucky was. Steve reached his hand over and wrapped it around Bucky's as they pulled out of the final school. He'd always known love.

* * *

"Good morning!" Steve chirped as he gently shook Bucky's shoulder to wake him up. Bucky's eyelids fluttered open, squinting in the morning light. He was lying on his bed in his apartment, though he felt quite sure he had fallen asleep in Steve's car. Then there was the sight in front of his eyes as they adjusted to the light: Steve, sitting on a stool by Bucky's bed, wearing a frilly pink apron, holding a plate, his sketchbook resting haphazardly on Bucky's nightstand.

"Steve, I have so many questions right now." Was all Bucky could manage to squeak out as he sat up.

"Shhh. You'll just have to save those for later, 'cause I made you breakfast." Steve shoved a plate onto Bucky's lap. It contained bacon and two cinnamon rolls. Those were his favorite ever since he'd first tried them in college, but Steve couldn't possibly have known that. Bucky stared at Steve in disbelief.

"...Steve...?" Bucky asked, unsure whether it really was Steve sitting before him or some alien had abducted his boyfriend. Steve reached forward, squeezed Bucky's hand, then stood up, grabbing his sketchbook from Bucky's nightstand.

"There's more in the kitchen if you want. I made a ton." Steve said, gesturing toward the plate in Bucky's lap as he strode out of the room, grinning like a child. Bucky just sat there for a minute, speechless. What...just...happened...? He picked up a cinnamon roll, taking a bite. He never knew that Steve could bake, but apparently Steve could bake. Bucky was so confused, but it all made him so happy. Steve had gotten up early to make Bucky's favorite breakfast for him in bed. So, Bucky smiled to himself as he ate it, looking out his window at the glowing yellow morning light.

* * *

"Thank you for breakfast, Stevie. It was really delicious. I didn't know you could bake." Bucky said, as he walked into the kitchen and rinsed out his plate.

"I didn't know I could bake either, until I tried. They were good, then?" Steve asked. Bucky smiled and nodded, remembering the wondrous taste of the sticky sweets. "Great. Here, have some coffee." Steve handed Bucky a steaming mug as soon as Bucky turned away from the sink. Bucky took it and sipped. It was strong, and tasted almost like... "Single origin espresso." Steve finished his thought for Bucky, making him look up from the mug. "You told me it was your favorite that afternoon in the coffee shop, remember?"