Chapter 3- Disaster Strikes

I can't wait to take Jen out tonight. I'm so nervous though. I'm proposing, and I just hope she'll say yes. I got her the most gorgeous she ring. It's a five karat and it was not cheap. Good lord, I'm nervous.

I finish getting dressed at seven. I double check that I have everything. Ring, phone, keys, wallet. Check. I drive over to Jen's place and get there at 7:27. I walk up the steps and knock on the door. She's gorgeous tonight, in a strapless, tight short purple dress.

"Shall we?" I take her by the hand, opening the door and helping her into the car. "Ooooh, someone's being a gentleman," she jokes. When she asks where we are going I tell her it's a surprise. She complains of course. We talk and giggle the whole way there.

After twenty minutes I pull up to a gorgeous beach house. I help Jen out of the car and we walk up to the house hand-in-hand. I can tell she's excited. When we walk in the door she gasps.

I set up a candlelight dinner with steak, potatoes, asparagus and wine. There's also chocolate cake for desert. After the cake we sit and watch a cute movie. Half way through Jen busts out laughing and starts hyperventilating. She clutches her chest and looks like she's about to pass out. I immediately call 911.

Oh no! This can't be happening. I pinch myself to make sure it's not a nightmare. Ouch! Dammit!

I lay Jen down on the couch and she faints just before the ambulance gets here. They lift her onto a stretcher and take her out to an ambulance, me following close behind. Please don't let her die or anything! Just let her be ok!

I climb into the back of the ambulance. The paramedics ask me a few questions and I explain to them about Jen's chest and lungs. They tell me what happened was that when she hyperventilated she nearly stopped breathing and passed out.

I take Jen's hand in mine. We all notice something terrible at the same time. Her breathing slowed and her chest is barely moving at all. Oh god no! Please don't let her die! Please! One of the paramedics puts a breathing mask on her while the other takes her pulse. "It's way to slow." He says. "Her heart'a nearly stopped!"