Prologue

Celaena paced. The clock ticked. Only a minute had passed? How? It felt like an hour. He still wasn't back. He wasn't with her. Was he hurt? Dead? No. She willed herself to think, He's alive. He wouldn't leave you.

She went out in search of him anyways.

~~~~

Their meeting places.

His scout points.

His escape routes.

The Avery.

The sewers.

The area around the house.

No where was he found.

Rage. Fear. Worry. Sadness. Guilt. Anger.

She began to walk back to the apartment and didn't look back to check if anyone followed.

~~~~

Celaena walked to her apartment, the door slightly ajar at the top of the creaky wooden stairs she somehow walked upon without noise. She gripped her dagger, though hoped it was only Sam... She opened the door, only to find Arobynn Hamel facing her from her couch.

"What do you want now?" She barely kept back an inhuman growl.

Arobynn's eyes showed sympathy. Maybe even... No. She didn't want to think about it.

"I said what do you want?" Her anger was slipping, her fear for Sam clouding her judgement.

Arobynn scanned her over, calculating, "You were out all night."

Celaena barely bit her tongue to hold back a scream of rage.

"...Sam was found dead this morning."

It was as if she had stopped hearing. Stopped breathing. "I want to see the body..."

"That's not a good--"

"I SAID I WANT TO SEE THE BODY!"

Arobynn shook his head at her though eventually stood, silently walking her back to the Assassin's Keep.

She doesn't know when he caused her to black out.