Chapter 4

Celaena woke with such a sharp pain in her back, she couldn't hold back a groan as she tried to sit up. Strong arms held her in place, clearly not letting her sit up anytime soon. She looked up slightly to see Sam, holding her against his chest, his hair a mess in his eyes as he dozed. She leaned against him, closing her eyes again, how long was I out?  She thought to herself.

Before she could think deeper into what had happened, Sam stirred. His arms tightened around her, his eyes tired and bloodshot slowly opening, alert as he could in his exhausted state. She could see the wear on him. She tried to speak, though found her throat dry, unable to do much more than squeak. She lowered her head, Sam's fingers gently brushing through her loose waves, back from her face.

"You were out almost a week... They haven't tried to make me work yet, I fought them every time... You're safe here... With me..."

She looked up to him, tears showing in her eyes. Celaena hadn't cried in forever. Why over him? Why did he have to be the one to make her feel again?

He was already crying himself, fear for her clear, his own guilt clouding his mind. She tried to speak again, clearing her throat, her voice weak and shaky, "I-I LLove YYou, SSam CCortland..."

He smiled, a genuine, gentle smile. They were living hell, and Celaena Sardothien could still make him smile. Before he could relish in the moment more, there were guards to pull them to their feet.

"Enough rest for you two. You're lucky you even got food and water without working."

Sam could see it in her eyes - Celaena couldn't even put weight on her legs, the guards were all that kept her up. She fell, her golden hair spilling around her as she laid, unconscious due to the pain they had caused her in moving.

Sam couldn't hold back. He had disarmed a guard close to him, stealing his sword, quickly getting the others out of his way. He got to Celaena and held her, and ran for the wall trapping them.

~~~~