Chapter 3

Celaena could barely hold back her tears. They already wanted to torture her. She was being tied to a whipping post, against all her fighting, they won. She saw Sam's look of horror as he was forced to watch as they ripped her shirt, exposing her back. 20 lashes.

1.

She almost fell as the pain dazed her. The hook pulling through her skin and down her spine was enough for her to almost black out.

2.

She almost lost her balance, gripping the post to stay up.

3.

There was no way she would live through 20, she thought to herself.

4.

She collapsed, her legs falling from beneath her. She couldn't keep herself up. She could see Sam struggling to get to her.

5.

10.

She couldn't stay awake through another one. Her face was drenched in sweat and tears. Sam was screaming but his words didn't make sense to her.

11.

She wouldn't make it. Everything was going dark.

12.

She blacked out, and collapsed. They only gave her a minute before throwing icy water on her despite the temperatures to wake her.

13.
14.
15.

She couldn't stay awake through anymore. Let her sleep was all she could think, but couldn't say it.

16.

She didn't feel the whip go into her skin. She heard Sam's shout of pain from behind her and saw him, protecting her. They were pulling him back before she knew it, saying she would have extras for the interruption. But he would have no punishment. That was good in her mind. Keep him safe.

16 met her back.
17.
18.
19.
20.

Was she done? No. They were screaming for more. She was barely conscious, shivering from the water.

10 more.

She was out cold, pale, almost like a ghost.

Sam watched as they took her down, finally releasing him long enough for him to dart to her and catch her. He picked her up, waiting for them to direct him. They shoved him to a small, beat up looking cabin. Chambers. Fine by him so long as he could keep her close.

He ran in as they left him alone. He was treating her back already, his hands shaking. No one there even paid them any heed. He continued like it was normal, as best as he could. He wrapped her in his cloak once he did his best, not letting her move from how he laid her on her stomach.

~~~~

3 days. They didn't make Sam work, and didn't bother trying to wake Celaena. He didn't want them to anyways. She needed rest and he needed to be with her.

He couldn't leave now. Not ever. She was too weak, still unwaking...

She was safe in his arms though-