Chapter 1

Celaena woke up to the feeling of ropes around her wrists, restraining her to a wall. She kept her breathing even and steady as she tried to survey her surroundings, listen for anything that could tell her where she was, who was around her, anything. She bit back a cry as she was slapped across her face. She slowly opened her eyes, her cheek flaming from the slap. She looked up into Farran's eyes. The man she had been hired to kill. The one that she was going to kill tomorrow night, with the help of Sam.

Sam. Where was he? She wouldn't be caught in this situation--- Wait. How had she gotten here again? She froze thinking through her memories even as Farran spoke to her, but she paid him no heed. Arobynn. This was his fault. They were walking then, nothing... Sam. He was dead. Sam.

"Are you listening you stupid girl?! Respond!" She was slapped once again, bringing her back into reality. She spit out the blood that had filled her mouth when she bit her tongue, onto his perfectly shined shoes. Not covered in blood. No sign of any harm coming to anyone besides maybe being shut down in a business deal. He put up a great facade for her pleasure.

She quickly turned her head to the side when she heard a groan from beside her. Sam. She almost screamed. Arobynn lied. Caused her capture. Here was Sam. She threw herself beside him, tucked into his side, but growling protectively up at Farran.

"Oh well. The guards will take them anyways." Farran muttered to himself before stomping on Celaena's ribs with his heel, effectively knocking the wind out of her along with a loud Snap signaling her now, broken ribs. Sam tried to give her a half smile. She bit back her cry as she hugged him despite the restraints. He was alive. Hurt and captured. But alive.

"S..Sam.." She could barely say his name.

"Shh.. I-I'm here.." He stroked her hair, kissing the top of her head, not wanting to let her go. 

That's when they heard the stomping of the boots. Celaena could barely register what was happening before she was knocked out cold yet again and carried away.

~~~~

Cold. Bitter, bitter cold. Sam woke in a dark, wet room. A cell. The royal dungeons. He glanced around, seeing Celaena directly beside him, both of them chained to the wall, only able to move to each other, the buckets to relieve themselves, and no further. He went to her as quick as he could. He held her despite the pain, the guilt, the sorrow. She was safe in his arms. She was here with him. She wasn't alone, and neither was he.

He watched as she groaned and slowly woke. She was still beautiful. Her eyes were faded though... The gold streaks were fading in with the blue... His poor Celaena.

She tried to sit up, instantly trying to fight against him. She was holding back cries of pain as he held her, not wanting to let go, "SShh... It's MMe.. It's SSam..." 

She instantly stilled, looking up to him, the pain in her eyes was clouded, but there. She wouldn't heal for a while the way her ribs were broken. She leaned on him, glancing around the cell. She wasn't too pleased either, he could tell by her stature. She let her eyes close again, hiding something from him... Something he couldn't quite place. He kissed her cheek, and fell asleep, back to oblivion, her cradled against his chest.

~~~~

Celaena watched Sam sleep. He seemed so peaceful in sleep. Like a young child again. She wished it were that simple for them. She leaned back on his chest, shifting slightly because of her broken ribs. She listened to the guards outside the cell.

"Is that really her? I thought she'd be older."

"She looks no older than my daughter."

"They probably grabbed some random girl of the streets and claimed it was her. Poor thing."

She wished she only knew what they weren't saying aloud.

~~~~

Clatter of chains. Movement outside the cell. Loud voices.

All of this came to her as she woke. She shook Sam awake, looking up to see him already alert, almost hiding her in his broad, muscular chest. She closed her eyes, willing it to all be a nightmare. That they weren't coming to kill her. Or Sam. Please not Sam.

Guards entered the cell and pulled them roughly to their feet, their chains replaced with ones they could walk in. Celaena could barely stay standing with her broken ribs, but held her head high. Sam, following her lead as they were forced down the hall, away from their cell, away. Just away. They went up and up flights and flights of stairs. Celaena forced herself not to stumble towards the top. They were almost there. Almost to death. One step closer...

They were led straight into a throne room. Glass walls. Glass floors. Glass ceilings. The glass throne. Upon that very throne, sat the king. The tyrant Adarlan. The one who took Terrasen away from her. Who took her freedom away. Who took everything away for everyone. Sam's eyes portrayed no fear, and she did her best to look the same, but she knew she probably looked like a deer caught in headlights. 

The king's voice boomed out to all of them, "On this day, we are here to sentence these two criminals to their certain punishments. Celaena Sardothien. I could've sworn you were older."

Celaena froze at the sound of her name, though didn't dare speak. She was forced into a chair, chained down to it, Sam held behind her. She didn't move.

"Hmph." The king stood from his throne, approaching her, "No comment, eh?"

She didn't want to speak. She didn't want to handle it all. It was too much. The betrayal, the fear, everything was too much.

"Fine. Any words before I give you both your sentence?"

Sam wouldn't speak. He couldn't. Not now. But she could. Her voice was firm, showing the strength she had left and more, "Make it quick, then."

Adarlan laughed, "You're not worth my time. Neither of you. 10 Years. The Endovier mines. You will both be kept alive as long as possible to... Make sure it's a pleasurable experience. Have nice travels."

Her eyes doubled in size. Endovier was a death camp. She didn't dare look at Sam, but she had just screwed them both. She was pulled to her feet, led outside, and thrown in a prison cart. Sam was thrown in beside her. They stayed still and silent until the horses started pulling them, as if the guards were already planning on going.

"I-I'm SSorry..."

Sam looked at her, lowering his head, holding her close again, mumbling, "NNo matter where we are, HHow close to death... WWe'll be together, okay?"

Celaena could only nod. She shivered as she tucked herself against his side again, the protection all she had left...