Chapter 7

Celaena awoke to the cart being rocked gently by a strong wind. What time was it? How long had she been out this time? She tried to sit up, but strong arms held her in place. Sam was there yet again, his brown hair falling in front of his eyes. They had to have been moving for days by now. This was the third time she woke up to be in the hold of the cart instead of the coachman's chair, but she knew Sam wouldn't let them stay in one spot for long.

Pressing her body against his for warmth, she curled into a small ball, and buried her head into his shoulder. Her wounds had been healing slowly but not enough for her to get her strength back. Sam's arm automatically went tighter around her, and she winced slightly. It was then she realized how much he was shaking.

"Sam.." she whispered gently. But he didn't stir, his tremble only becoming harsher.

"Sam." She tried a little louder, lightly stroking his cheek before shaking him. "Sam, wake up. It's just a dream."

Sam finally awoke at the sound of her voice, jumping back slightly. He shook his head, his hair falling in front of his eyes as he stared at the ground attempting to focus his vision. He then looked to her, sighing, shaking his head not even explaining anything or speaking as he picks her up again, wrapping her in a blanket as usual, and going to the coachman's chair. He laid her down before getting the horses hooked back up, handing them each an apple. He jumped in, not even looking at her as he started them off yet again.

"Won't you even speak to me?" Celaena asked. This was so unlike him.

Silence was her response.

"Cmon you haven't even told me how gorgeous I am today," she tried to joke.

Silence again.

"Sam, god damn it, look at me," she finally snapped.

His head snapped to her, and he just stared at her, sighing.

She stared back, just wanting an answer, a response, some sort of emotion. And yet, nothing.

She waited. And waited. The horses continued forward. Finally, he decided he'd speak to her.

"It was just a nightmare. Leave it alone. I don't want to talk about it," he spoke quietly, his eyes going down to the ground as he turned forward. One of his hands went to her back, pulling her close, and stabilizing her on the bumpy path. "We've been going for about a week and a half now. We should be arriving in Rifthold pretty soon. I'm starting to recognize landmarks around here now as well, so we really can't be far. We'll get in, get what we need, and leave for another continent."

Celaena hesitated, looking downward. She had another thought in mind... "What do you think about us staying in Rifthold a while..?"

Sam shook his head, sighing "Why? We can get away before anyone even knows we're still alive. Let them all just hear the news in a few days that we escaped and disappeared."

She was hesitant on telling him her plan. She knew he wouldn't like it. So she gave him the simplified version, "I want Arobynn Hamel to pay for what he did to us." And left it at that.

He had no arguments against it.

~~~~
A/N:
I normally don't do A/N's but I thought it was necessary. Sorry for not updating for so long! Been a little busy with marching band, and just haven't really been on Wattpad. I'm glad to know it was requested to be updated! I'll try to work in regular updates!
~Hayley