Chapter 2

Two weeks. That was how long it would take to reach the salt mines. The weather progressively got colder as they went and even with their cloaks, they could barely move in it. The guards offered them nothing more than a few scraps of hard bread thrown in every so often - they would always share it equally.

Celaena never moved from Sam's side except to relieve herself or for him to do the same. She curled, her eyes dull and faded, only brightening when he would give her a smile. She stared out the small window of the cart. They had stopped for the night.

Sam watched Celaena closely. Suddenly, it was like she was in a whole other place. She was smiling as a soft breeze blew through her hair. It never did that through that window.. Only bitter winds.

Her eyes held one single look in them - peace. It was like she was home. Then, he saw why.

The white stag, standing proud in the forest. Terrasen. Her homeland meant so much to her and now, she saw it. But... how? How did the stag make it here?

She seemed to be asking the same question, but then the guards were pulling up their bows, arrows already in place. Celaena screamed, and the stag listened, "Run!"

Once the stag was far gone, the guards were absolutely pissed to put it short. They banged on the cart, and unlocked the doors. They dragged her out, one holding a knife against her back, another against her chest. She was trapped.

"WWait.." He barely managed to speak due to lack of water. "TThe KKing WWanted HHer UUnharmed TTo WWork..."

The guards grunted, nodding before shoving her back in roughly and locking the door. He sighed in relief as he pulled her to him, kissing her forehead, his arms never loosening even as they both fell asleep.

~~~~

They sat in silence, the smell of salt surrounding them. The look of fear in her eyes was clear, his methods to try to comfort her not doing any good. Sam knew she was petrified - but she couldn't know he was too. He had to be strong. For her sake.

The cart slowed, then stopped. The guards were dragging them out quietly. Her ragged breathing was loud enough for him and all the guards to hear. They dragged them in, and that was when it all went to hell...