soul of the sun

chapter 8.5

In which Tom foolery is afoot...

_________

Mistakes happen all the time. Akira knew this. Which is why he mistakenly followed Misaki home one day. It was simple he lost his way and happened to be behind her as she walked into an orphanage.

Wait.

An orphanage?!

He gaped as the imposing middle schooler ducked into a shabby building that had a sign at the gate proclaiming it Yumi's Home for Children.

He had met the first year middle schooler only two months ago, and after a humiliating defeat at her hands, he had quickly found something.

Love. He was incredibly, undeniably in love with Miskai Yui. Misaki Yui who wasn't beautiful like Naomi Honda, or sweet like Kimi Aida.

Misaki who was scarier than a bear and could probably wrestle a crocodile and win.

She was rude, uncouth, and was definitely a glass half empty sort.

She was too skinny, and her hair looked like a blind person cut it.

She achieved good grades, but she wasn't first, second or even third in class. Akira didn't think he'd ever seen her smile, or look even the slightest bit happy.

So why?

He had a type, cute, cheerful girls.

Misaki didn't fit that type. Not even alittle.

Why, am I so in love with someone like Misaki Yui? Kami-sama, why?

Akira stared at where she had walked in, before he slowly got up.

He was such a liar.

I know exactly why.

-

Two Months Prior

Akira now understood why storms were named after people.

Because fuck.

He got slammed by Hurricane Misaki hard. His arm was broken in two places, he looked like a grotesque painting with all the bruises, and he sprained his ankle. Not mentioning the fucking bite mark on his shoulder, when he had grabbed her.

He wished he could feel pleased that she didn't exactly look great either.

But now as he slouched in his seat, the mummy that is Misaki, was diligently taking notes. Because even with her right hand messed up, she could use her left just fine.

He tried to glare, but it quickly gave way to a curious stare.

Why is she trying so hard anyway?

There was something about seeing her. Sitting there as if she wasn't injured, focusing on the lesson that literally no one else was.

It was almost...not inspiring but something like it.

Akira hissed at a bony elbow to his sore ribs. He turned to glare at his seatmate Fujioka. The girl gave him a stern look.

"She will literally kill you. Stop staring and pay attention."

Then she turned back to her work.

There was something seriously wrong with girls at this school. Not cute at all.

Akira glanced at Misaki one more time. At least look alittle pained!

Akira had a new hobby.