Chapter 5

To say we were shocked that Lucas showed up at Scott's without warning is an understatement. Last I knew, he wouldn't be home until tomorrow at the earliest, something about an extra credit opportunity or something. As if he needed it.. Lucas is incredibly intelligent, and I don't think he's ever seen any grade lower than an A minus in his life. If he did, I'm sure he fixed it before anybody else caught on, namely our mother. If I thought her hovering over my grades was bad, I couldn't imagine how Lucas and Jennie felt with her high expectations for them.

Lucas stood at the edge of our table silently. Only a minute or two passed, but with the awkward tension so thick in the air, it felt like a couple hours. He turned to grab a chair as I stood up to hug him. "Hey, you." Lucas half-smiled at me, giving me a quick hug before settling in at the table. "So, Jeremy," he clapped Jeremy on the shoulder. "When were you gonna tell me you were seeing my sister?" Jennie rolled her eyes and crossed her legs under the table, smoothing her jacket.

"Ugh, don't be a caveman, Lucas. I'm not a child, neither of us need your permission to date each other," Jennie snapped.

"Oh no, Jen, you misunderstood." A devilish grin spread on Lucas' face, and I knew it was going to turn ugly. "You're right, you don't need my permission. I was just wondering when he would say something, because he hasn't mentioned you once."

"Alright, let's maybe hash this out at home so this doesn't turn into a public boxing match," I warned. Lucas and Jennie completely ignored me, and continued bickering with each other, their voices growing louder with each insult.

"Maybe he didn't mention me because he knew you would turn into an asshole big brother-"

"He didn't even mention he was seeing anyone, and definitely not someone who gets around-"

"Just because you're jealous-"

"Oh wait, he did mention he saw a cute, cheerleader type girl at the library, I didn't realize he was talking about you!"

"I am so not a cheerleader type, I'm above that-"

"That's enough!" I shouted. I stood, pushing my chair away from the table. "You all are ridiculous and embarrassing, and I'm not going to stick around to be a part of this any longer. This fight better be over by the time you get home, so Mom and Dad can see you three act like humans instead of animals. Besides, they have enough to deal with right now, besides you two and your endless need to compete to be number one." I stomped out the door, letting the door slam behind me. I plopped down on a bench outside when I heard the doorbell ring and Nathan sit down beside me.

"I'm sorry about that," I grumbled. I crossed my arms and stared off into the distance.

"That was... that was really something," Nathan chuckled nervously, sitting closer to me and resting his arm on the back of the bench. "What was that about?"

"Oh, nothing really. Jennie and Lucas have competed to be the best, basically my whole life. When Lucas feels threatened, he insults Jennie and her intelligence, and when Jennie feels threatened, she tends to party and have fun with Lucas' friends."

"That's not too bad, right?"

"She sleeps with them, and then they leave Lucas in the dust," I look over at Nathan. "She does it so he's alone, and after the first two friends ditched him to chase her, he grew really bitter. Last I knew, Jeremy and Lucas didn't speak much, but it's mostly because Lucas keeps people at arm's length. I guess it's easier when he doesn't have to worry about feelings, and can focus every ounce of his being on his studies."

"Sounds intense," Nathan grunted, kissing the top of my head. "Ready to get out of here? I have a better date in mind."

"Anything is better than being here," I agreed, letting Nathan pull me off the bench. As he held the passenger door to his car open for me to slide in, Jennie came running out, looking frantic.