01

riley sat in her room, her thumbs tracing over her phone screen. she had homework, but instead she sat idly on her bed. the white comforter wrapped around her body, keeping her warm. inhaling deeply, she glanced towards her window. it was large, and it had a place where friends could sit and talk. she had always sat there alone, scribbling random things down in a notebook, but she wondered what it would be like to have someone there with her to keep her company. they didn't have to talk. she just felt so alone at that window.
picking herself up from off of her bed, still holding the comforter to her body, she slowly walked to the window. she gently tossed her phone upon the cushioned seating area, throwing herself down next to it. she let her comforter go to open the window farthest away from where she was sitting. riley could never sit there without having that window open. occasionally animals would scurry in and out, but she didn't mind. it's what made her smile.
the phone vibrated, and her face lit up with excitement. it wasn't often that she would receive any type of notification, but when she did, she would spend all of the time she could checking it. her eyes scanned the notification, and she let out a small sigh. it was just zay asking her if she did the homework just like he did every night. that's all her friends would text her for, and besides that, they never really talked to her. she left a quick "no" in response and angrily but gently slammed her phone down.
her heart hurt. her friends never wanted anything to do with her. since middle school, they always gave her the cold shoulder. she would try her best to talk to them, but ever since she came out to lucas as bisexual and left him, they all took his side and left her. it's not like they didn't accept her for who she was. she had broken lucas's heart, and even after two years, he still hadn't dated a single girl. he was hung up on riley, but riley felt the exact opposite. all she wanted was to be his friend. she developed feelings for the rebellious mystery girl. she couldn't stay with lucas when she didn't look at him in the same way anymore.
"i can't let this keep hurting me," she muttered to herself. "they left because i broke his heart, and they didn't even try to understand my side."
the dark wooden door that granted access to her room swung open, revealing her giggly little brother on the other side. "riley!" he exclaimed as he ran up to her window, placing himself next to her.
her frown suddenly formed into a smile as she responded, "yes, buddy?"
auggie looked at his older sister with his chocolate eyes. he was missing his left front tooth, but his smile was still as sweet and full as ever. "wanna play a game?"
riley's frown came back as she shook her head. "gosh, sorry, auggie. i really would, but i have homework." it was an excuse. both her and auggie knew that she wasn't going to do it.
he playfully rolled his eyes as he skipped back toward the door, leaving it wide open as he left.
riley groaned in anger, "close the door on the way out next time!"
auggie's giggle was heard faintly down the hallway before the door was shut, silencing the sound. she went back toward the window, and her phone went off again. this time she received two notifications. riley didn't want to check them because she didn't want to be disappointed once more, but she could resist the urge to run up to her phone and snatch it up in her hands. the screen of the device illuminated her delighted expression that was upon her face.
   "a new friend!" she exclaimed as she threw herself onto her bed.
   her brunette hair hung in front her face, and with one swift movement, she pushed it all back so she could read the messages she received.
   the messages came from a tumblr account with the username "xmxxax." riley was confused with the choice of usernames, but she didn't question it too much. she was about to make a new friend, she didn't want to already ruin it. the phone was close to her face as she decided to take a quick look through the person's tumblr.
   the account was mysterious. every picture posted was of graffiti, silhouettes of people and occasionally were pictures of a person, most likely the owner of the account, from the lips down. the one thing riley was thinking was "hot." she didn't know you could be attracted to someone's lips, but here she was, fantasising the nose and eyes that could complete the face of the person.
   riley took a deep breath before going to her inbox and opening up the new conversation.
   xmxxax: i really like ur account
   xmxxax: and i really like ur face.
   the brunette's face began to become pink. no one besides lucas ever really complimented her. this was all new to her, and she liked it.
   rileyspluto: hahaha i really like ur account, and i like ur lips
   rileyspluto: sorry if that's weird! that's all i've seen of u!
   riley stared at her screen in anticipation until a small vibration came from her phone. the mystery person replied.
  xmxxax: that's all ur gonna see for now. how are u?
   rileyspluto: tired! i have all of this school work and i just don't want to do it ugh. u?
   xmxxax: do ur work
   rileyspluto: but i have a chance to make a new friend. why pass that up?
   xmxxax: i'll talk to u when ur done with it then, deal?
   rileyspluto: good idea
   riley set her phone down next to her and grabbed her backpack that was leaning against her bed. this person has already gotten her to do her homework, and she wondered what "xmxxax" could do next.