02

it was two days later, and xmxxax and her talked everyday. they would talk nonstop, and the only time they wouldn't was when they were sleeping. riley still didn't know her name, but she didn't care. she felt connected to this person. a screen and an app could finally bring her the friendship she needed in her life.
   ding! the sound of her tumblr notification went off. riley was tired, but if it was her, she would stay up for hours. after all, xmxxax felt similar to her. it was like they've known each other their whole life.
xmxxax: hey
   riley felt nervous, and she didn't know why. she didn't know what to say to her, but it wasn't different than any other day. even if it was, it should be easier to reply with a simple "hi" in return.
   she swallowed the lump in her throat and put her thumbs to the keyboard. each finger carefully hit the "h" and the "i" and pressed send.
   xmxxax: do u think we could call? i hate texting
   riley let out a small squeal. she wanted to hear her voice, but she knew that she wasn't allowed to talk to people on the internet. at least that's what her dad would say. her mom didn't care too much, as long as she stayed safe, but her dad was too protective. he wanted nothing to happen to his child, and riley didn't blame him. she didn't want anything to happen to her either, but she would do anything to have a friend. this account didn't seem to be dangerous, but at the same time, she didn't know who the person was exactly.
   rileyspluto: uh yeah when?
   xmxxax: soon
   xmxxax: like a few hours-days maybe
   xmxxax: whatever u want
   a few hours? riley thought. that scared her. what if this person was some old man? she shook all of the overwhelming thoughts from her mind and took a deep breath. she didn't want to let her anxiety get the best of her for once.
   rileyspluto: we can do it now
   rileyspluto: ...if u want!!!
   xmxxax: i've really wanted to
   xmxxax: send me ur number
   riley briskly typed in her phone number and waited for the call. her palms began to sweat, and her heart began to race. maybe her voice would be as pretty as her lips. weird way to think about it, but that's what kept her as calm as she could be.
after about two minutes, her phone began to ring. ever her phone number showed up as unknown. she really didn't want anyone to know who she was, but that was understandable. it was the internet, and anything could happen.
"hello?" riley's voice croaked as she answered the phone.
"hi there, riles."
her voice was sweet but rough. it was soothing and calm, but it was deep. some would say that she had a stereotypical lesbian voice, and riley loved it. the voice did match the lips that she would obsess over every night.
"i'm sorry," she replied. "i don't really know how to keep a conversation going unless it's through text."
her laugh was faint, but it was angelic. "don't worry. i'll do all the talking. whatcha want to know?"
her mind drew a blank. she had all of these things she wanted to know about her, but she couldn't think of any questions. it was already off to a bad start.
"your name," she finally forced out. "i want to know your name."
it felt silent for a moment before the girl responded, "maya. maya penelope hart."
wow, her name was beautiful.
"well, my last name is matthews," riley added. "sadly, i don't have a middle name. it's boring."
riley felt maya smile through the phone. it was warm, and riley felt her heart trying to float out of her chest. these few exchanges of words and sentences made her feel all sorts of ways. she couldn't explain it, but she enjoyed what she felt. she had never felt this way before, so she was enjoyed it while it lasted.
"but you're not," maya flirted.
riley giggled, trying to hide the fact that maya could make her blush doing literally anything.
   "don't think i can't hear you. your laugh is cute," the girl continued.
   riley squeaked. "thank you!"
   she messed with her dark hair as she thought of something else to ask. they sat there in silence until one of them finally thought of something to say.
   "you know?" riley mentioned. "you really remind me of someone."
   she felt maya's curiosity through the phone as she responded, "who?"
   riley thought for a moment. "i don't really know her name, and honestly, i haven't talked to her before. i've just heard many stories about her. she never shows up to school. she's gorgeous though. a blonde haired beauty."
   maya huffed, "not me then."
   "i didn't really expect it to be you," the brunette sighed.
   a knock came from maya's end, and riley stopped herself before she spoke again.
   "yeah?" she heard maya ask.
   the sound of the person's voice was faint, but riley could make out that it was an angry man. his words were slurred, and his voice seemed to spit fire.
   a tiny gasp came from maya's mouth. "i need to go. now," she murmured as she hung up.
   riley stared at her phone is disbelief. she was worried. she didn't want maya to deal with an angry man alone, but there wasn't much she could do since she wasn't in the same room. she kept her phone close just in case maya were to text her or call her back and grabbed her notebook.

   april 9, 2017

   so, i figured out her name. it's maya penelope hart. so fucking beautiful, right? she's so... perfect? yeah, i'll use that. i really like her already. i never want to stop learning about her even though she wasn't really open. i wonder why that is. whatever. at least she trusts me enough with her name. that's a start. anyways, she sounds so sweet and so far, she's pretty sweet to me.

   riley closed her notebook and took a short look out her window. it was getting dark already. she decided to grab her phone and sit at the window. she needed to distract herself from worrying about maya anyways.
   she took a seat and grabbed a purple pillow, holding it close to her body. she imagined that it was the mystery girl from school. all she wanted was that girl. she pretended her face was buried into the crook of her neck, the mystery girl's hair providing a barrier between her skin and riley's face. she pretended that the blonde beauty's fingers were running through the mess she called her hair. she pretended it was just them and no one else.
   tears began to fall from her brown eyes. letting go of the pillow with one of her arms, she wiped away the salty tears that were streaming down her rosy cheeks. she took a look at the wetness the tears left on her hand and at the pillow she pretended was the girl. she grunted as she realised how pathetic she was being and threw the pillow to the caramel wood flooring.
   she pressed her hands to the cushioning and stared intently at the ground. she was lost in thought. why was maya so similar to this mystery girl? how did she even know that? why did she want to get to know maya?
   riley began to dig her nails into the cushion to try and repress some of the emotions she had inside. she couldn't and decided to let the tears flow from her eyes like waterfalls. her throat was tight, and she trembled. it was psychically painful to cry as hard as she was, but she needed to. she needed to allow herself to feel the emotions she was trying so desperately to hide. even if they were all about this stupid girl.