09

//this chapter mentions rape and physical abuse! only read if you are sure you can handle it. thank you! <3//

ding!
   riley picked her phone up from off her dresser, wiping the tears from her eyes as she stared at the notification blankly. it was maya acting as if nothing happened at lunch that day. the brunette opened the message before closing her phone, knowing that maya would know that she read it. she had been fucked over so many times in the past, and she wasn't allowing some girl do the same.
   suddenly, her phone began to ring as it moved on her dresser from the vibrations. it was maya once again. she didn't want to answer, but she had this feeling that she should. it wasn't a good feeling. it was one that felt as if the battle of troy was happening in the pit of her stomach. she took the phone to her ear, waiting for a noise from maya, and all she could make out were muffled whines and sobs.
   riley was confused. "maya, what's going on? are you okay?" she asked, being sure to whisper in case maya was in any sort of danger.
   maya's breaths were heavy and shaky as she tried to speak. the pure terror the girl was feeling travelled through riley's body as she began to feel terrified herself.
   "just... stay on the phone. i messaged you my address. stay on the phone and get over here now. please," maya muttered frantically.
   riley did as she was told. she scurried down the stairs to her mother who was sitting on their couch, finally enjoying her one day off. she shook her mother's shoulder, just staring at her, hoping topanga would know what she was trying to convey to her. luckily, she did as she went to the fireplace, grabbing her keys off of the top of it, swinging open the door and running to her car as her daughter ran after her.
   "stay with me, maya. i'm right here," riley reassured as topanga swung the passenger side door open for her daughter before running to the driver's side, quickly starting up the little car.
topanga was going ninety in a fifty-five, making sharp turns and rough halts before arriving at their destination. riley's eyes met her mothers as she communicated with her to stay in the car just in case they needed to make a quick getaway. the door swung open as riley rushed into maya's front yard. her eyes scanned for an opening that she could quietly enter.
after a moment of pure silence, riley's ear began to ring with the sounds of cries and screams as she heard maya's phone fall to the floor. she had no time to act, but she knew that she would have to try her damn best to get in there before anything else happened. the brunette finally saw a ripped screen and a open window. she made her way toward her target, slipping in with ease. her petite body made it simple for her to slip into the slimmest of spaces.
the room she entered was illuminated with an old, dusty table lamp and a lavender and honey candle that was close to burning out. the walls were stained yellow as mold festered where the cracking walls met each other. there were signs of moisture within those walls as well as a sign of rats living in them. the carpet underneath her was matted and dark, covered in mysterious stains and substances. riley couldn't believe that maya lived in a rotting home, and she was terrified to meet the one who raised her.
a bang sounded throughout the messy house, snapping the girl back to reality, making her remember what she was here for in the first place. maya. the bang sounded like a person being thrown around like a kid does when playing with their toys. the noise echoed throughout the house once again, and this time riley took it to herself to follow it to find the source.
it wasn't long before she found a door, barely hanging onto its hinges, flung wide open. she stood in the doorway as she stared at the scene in front of her. maya was struggling underneath a filthy, drunken man as his hands explored her body in ways that made riley sick to her stomach. the struggling girl's trembling crystal eyes met with riley's wood-coloured ones, crying out for her to do something to help her.
riley took a deep breath before yelling out sternly. "hey, fuck face. let go of her before i make you."