City Of Forgotton Voices-A Jace Wayland Romance-12

"You can't just expect us to sit back after everything that has happened," Simon said.
"I can, and I do, you guys are going to get hurt and I'm not going to risk it," I told the group as we gathered around in my room.
"That's our decision," Jace said.
"No, I'm not letting any of you die for me."
"What if that's what we want?" Clary asked.
"No one should want to die for me."
"I do," Jace said, "Because I love you. I'd do whatever I needed to make sure you were happy."
"This isn't some easy fight, there's something out there that they want, and I'm going to find it," I said.
"And we'll be there to help," James said, entering the room, hard tension filling the air, "Right?" he asked me.
"No, because that's not what I want for you."
"So, where are we going to check first?" Alec asked, ignoring my whole rant.
"Alec I just said-"
"And I just said, we're helping, end of discussion,' he interrupted.
"We can start at her old house," James said.
"No, I don't want to go back there."
"What if its has the stuff they want?"
"Its most likely been searched already."
"And if not?" Alec asked.
"Nothing will be there, I don't even remember the address."
"How do you not remember your address?" Izzy asked.
"I just forgot it over the years I guess," I mumbled.
"Luckily for you," James started, "I remember."

I stared up at the old, run-down apartment complex, "Wow, this place really did go downhill," I said, "Why would my parents even want to live in a place this far out and creepy?"
"They wanted a place where you wouldn't be found," James said.
"Yeah, that turned out well," Simon spoke, earning a hard elbow from Jace.
"Ow!" he exclaimed.

I sighed at the two, "Do you think its safe to walk in?"
"Possibly," Jace said.
"Possibly doesn't really mean anything," Simon stated, earning yet another elbow from Jace.

I stood in front of the old wooden door, one of the hinges hanging off. I stared at the rusted number and felt a presence behind me, "I don't know if I want to open it," I whispered.
"We can turn around," Jace said.
"I think I need to see what's here, see what's left."
"Look, let's just keep quiet until Aly figures out what she wanted to do," James said.
"I want to go in," I said, gripping the silver doorknob. I took a deep breath before turning the doorknob, my hands shaking when the door creaked open. The back of my hand flew to my nose as the open door revealed the smell of mold. I held back a gag before walking in, looking around, taking in the surrounding clutter and peeling of the paint, trying to forget the smell.
"It smells like someone died in here," Isabelle said, causing everyone to turn and give her a look that said 'really, your saying that now', "Sorry," she added.
"Its true though, it smells like death," I said, trying to get the pain from my chest from the hurt on the inside.
"Maybe we should all split up to look, I'll stay with Aly," James said, trying to get everyone to search this place as quick as possible.
"How about you go with Isabelle?" I suggested, his cheeks slightly tinting pink at my discovery of his little feelings for Izzy.
He shook his head, the pink falling from his cheeks, "Sure, alright."
The two went off and I smiled at the group, "I'll take my parents room."
"And I'll just sit back and watch," Jace said.
I rolled my eyes at him, "Have fun with that."

When I walked into my parents room everything was very different. The bed was a mess, covered with dust and the blankets half off. The drawers were on the floor, except for the one that managed to grip onto the dresser, all their remains scattered over the dirty carpet. I kicked a piece of clothing out of the way and saw a brown dried up blood stain.
"You alright?"
I didn't speak, all I could do was just stare at the permanent spot in the carpet, "Don't think about it," Jace whispered, pulling me away from the area/
"Its hard not to."
"I know that," he said.
"I don't think we're going to find anything here," I commented, running a hand through my hair.
"Way to be positive."
"I'm just saying, if this place was already searched, which it obviously was, then they would've taken anything that they wanted."
I sat on the bed and he followed, a small puff of dust swarmed around us. I looked at him and he looked concentrated on something I couldn't see, "What?" I asked.
"This bed is hallow."
"Huh?"
"The bed, its hallow."
He got off the bed and I followed suit, dropping to his knees and lifted up the sheets, "Check this out."
I dropped to my knees beside him and looked where he pointed, "Are those-"
"Runes, yeah," he interrupted.
I looked at the runes carved into the board, all in a line and some unfamiliar to me, "Why would there be runes here?"
"You tell me."
"Do you think there's something there?"
"There could be," he put his stele on one of the runes and nothing happened, "Let's try this then," he traced his fingers over them and nothing.
"Let me try."
"If you think you can get it and I can't you're-"
He trailed off when I did it, the runes glowing a bright purple. I watched as the board popped and a small opening was made, "It's a compartment."
I grabbed the side and pulled, the drawer pulling out easily with a low rumble. Inside lay a giant brief-case with two runes in place of key holes, the big unknown rune from the journal was printed on the black leather. I grabbed it and pulled it out onto the floor, thumping loudly on the carpet.
"What do you think is in here?" Jace asked me.
"I don't know but I don't think I should open it here," I said.
"Good idea," he said.

Arriving at the Institute, everyone was gathered around me, waiting impatiently for me to open the overly large brief case.
"Well, are you going to open it or what?" asked James, anxious to see what was inside.
"I know your all going to be upset when I say this but, I should be alone when I open this, just at first."
"Are you serious, after everything we've all done you want to kick us out now?" Simon asked.
"Look, I don't want to but in case something in here is too dangerous, I want to open it alone."
"Okay," Jace said.
"Okay?" I asked in shock, thinking he would be the hardest one to convince.
"I'm not going to fight you on this, if you want to do this alone, do it alone."
I smiled, "Thanks."
He smiled back, "Everyone clear out."

I was finally alone and after the door shut, I placed my hands on the case, touching the two unknown rune clasps, having them pop at my contact. I raised the top, staring at the contaiments in awe. TBC