•What is Wrong With Me•

Chapter title~ lyrics from "How Far I'll Go" from Moana•
***
Henry walks back into the room. I look down at the white sheets, determined not to see his face. Henry sits down in the chair and puts his phone away.
Don't look up. Don't look up.
But I can't help it. I shift my gaze from the sheets to Henry. "Everything ok?" I ask. Henry looks at me. He gives a small smile.
"Yeah. Sorry about that."
"It's ok." I whisper. Henry nods and looks down at the floor.

We sit in silence for what seems like forever. Just then the door opens, and a man, who looks like he's in his late thirties, appears in the doorway. He has black hair and green eyes, like Henry.
This must be Henry's dad.
The man walks over as Henry looks up and turns around. The man looks at Henry, and then at me. He breaks into a huge smile.

"You're awake! I'm so happy to see you're awake!" Henry stands up and heads over to him.
"Dad, this Coral. Coral, this is my dad." I smile and raise my hand in greeting.
"Hello Mr. Wills, it's nice to meet you." Mr. Wills chuckles and walks over to me.

"Please, call me James." He extends his hand, and I shake it. James smiles, but it quickly disappears. He clears his throat and looks at the floor.
"I, um, I'm sorry about...you know, hitting you with my car. I, uh, I thought you were going to move." I laugh slightly.
"It's ok, James. It was my fault, I should've moved." He shakes his head.
"Don't blame yourself, Coral." I nod slowly.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to go get some stuff from the vending machine." James walks away from me. He stops and whispers something in Henry's ear. Henry nods, and James leaves the room. Henry comes over and sits back in the chair.

"Are you feeling better?" He asks.
"I guess," I pause. "Want to know something?"
"What?"
"I don't know what's wrong with me." Henry raises an eyebrow.
"You don't?"
"Nope." Henry laughs, which makes me start to laugh.
"Why is that funny?" I say in between giggles. Henry shakes his head.
"I don't know! I just find it weird. You should know what's wrong!" I smile.
"Apparently, I'm on a need-to-know basis, and this is something I don't need to know."

Henry wipes his eyes and stops laughing.
"Well, you have a concussion and a broken arm."
"That's it?" I ask.
"That's it." Henry confirms. My mouth drops open.
"Wow."
"That was basically my reaction." Henry says. I laugh slightly. I hear the door open, and I see James return with lots of snacks.

"Alright, so I have pretzels, potato chips, Cheetos, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Who's hungry?" I smile.
"Thank you, James." He looks at me, and I see his eyes sparkle.
"No problem, Coral." He walks over to me and hands me Lays Potato chips. "Eat up."
***
I walk over to the window sill and stare at the busy street. It's 5:00, so the streets are packed with people trying to get home.
Must be nice having a destination...
I sigh and walk back over to the hospital bed. Henry and his dad left a few minutes ago to go get my suitcase from the car. Apparently, they grabbed it after I got hit by the car. I sink into the bed. I scan the room and frown. Everything is so.... boring. The walls are white, the floor is a tanish tile, and the bed sheets and pillow are white. The only pop of color in the room is a blue, plastic chair.

Voices in the hallway bring me back to reality. I look out the door window and freeze. I see Dr. Brians and a nurse... I think her name is Amy, outside my door.
No, please go away. Please...
But I know they won't. They are about to open the door and come in. They are about to ask me more questions.
But they don't have to right now...
An idea pops into my head. I jump up from the bed, and I scramble to get under the sheets.
They won't be able to talk to me if they think I'm asleep.

I smile at my plan as I close my eyes. I slow down my breathing just as I hear the door open.
"I'm telling you, Dr. Brians, something-"
"Shhh! She could hear you!" Dr. Brians scolds. I hear the click of high heels walking on tile.
Who wears high heels to work?
I try to keep my breathing steady as Dr. Brians and Amy approach the bed. I catch a whiff of perfume, and I try my best not to gag. I never liked the smell of most perfumes, and this one is horrible. I hear a scratching noise, and I assume it's a pen writing on a clipboard.

"Well, she's asleep." Dr. Brians announces.
"Is that good?" Amy questions. I hear an exasperated sigh.
"It's fine, I'm just aggravated because I still have questions to ask her. I guess they'll have to wait." Dr. Brians explains distastefully.
"Were you going to mention that she has unusual blood?" I feel my breath catch in my throat.
Unusual blood?!
"Of course not! I need answers before I mention that." Dr. Brians snaps. I try to pace my breathing, but I'm really starting to freak out.
Unusual blood?! What does that mean?! What's wrong with me?!

"How are you going to find answers?"
"By running tests. That's the only way."
"Are you sure Dr.?"
"Yes, Amy! Now stop asking ridiculous questions!" They continue their conversation, but I'm not listening. My thoughts are swirling, it's like I have a tornado in my brain.
Tests?! They want to perform tests on me like I'm a science project?!
I hear the door open and close. I snap my eyes open and leap out of my bed. I run to the door and see Dr. Brians and Amy walking down the hallway. I turn away from the door and look down at my paper gown.
I need clothes.
If I wait for Henry and James to come back with my suitcase, Dr. Brians might come back and ask me questions.... or perform the tests.

I have to leave before that happens. I look down at my gown, again, and scowl.
Can't leave here wearing this stupid thing.
I scan the room. Nothing.
Aghhh!!
I comb my hands through my hair, trying to think. No ideas come to me. I feel a realization wash over me. I was going to be trapped here, being tested on. I sink to the floor and I burst into tears. My body shakes with every sob.
Why can't I live a normal life? Why does everything have to be so hard for me? What is wrong with me?
I sit there, sobbing. I let all my emotions out, and let me just tell you, it feels good.

My vision turns misty, and my head feels like it's underwater. I can barely hear my own sobs. All of a sudden, I feel something wrap around my shoulders. I attempt to see what it is, but my vision is too cloudy. I feel my body weaken, and I fall closer to the ground, but the unknown thing grabs me. At that moment, I realize that those things are arms. I feel the arms pull me into a hug.
"Shhh, it's ok. Calm down, everything is ok."
Henry.
I cry even harder, soaking Henry's shirt. He rubs my back soothingly and whispers that everything is ok.

But I don't believe him. He doesn't know that something is wrong with me. He doesn't know that I am going to have tests done on me. He doesn't know that I have unusual blood. He doesn't know.... he doesn't know that I'm a freak.