twenty-seven

Her kisses paralyzed the demons walking in my head; her voice soothed the years of unacknowledged sinning

     Her kisses paralyzed the demons walking in my head; her voice soothed the years of unacknowledged sinning. In just a few weeks, Milo Irene Locke managed to ruin my life.
-Khari

"I'm a Leo and you're a Pisces," Milo mumbled while scrolling down her horoscope app, "this relationship may or may not survive if it's not written in the stars."

Avery and Warren decided to go watch the hockey game happening downtown which left Milo and Khari sitting alone on his bed. Thanks to the Leo, the two of them drank hot chocolate as Lauryn Hill preached softly in the background. Heat never escaped the radiator which meant that Milo wore a furry sweater and Khari attempted at stealing the thick comforter that his friend snuggled in.

He asked mundanely, "Do you really believe in that? If it's meant to be, it'll be. Horoscopes are never accurate for the most part."

"You're such a pessimist, Khari. Like you never have anything positive to say when I bring up love or relationships in general," Milo huffed. "I'm starting to wonder if you even like having me around or if I'm just some sort of distraction from your depression."

Her words hit him like an electric current as he twisted the lion's head ring that his grandfather gave him. Despite his carefree demeanor, Khari wanted to plan his words carefully in the hopes that Milo wouldn't leave him.

Khari whispered, "I mean, you are a distraction, but I like you being my distraction. I love having you around and I love our friendship."

She giggled softly, "Friendship? Love? Did Khari Vincent Spence use those words in the same sentence? Wow. I'm baffled. I'm stupefied. I'm astounded."

"Shut up before I take it back," he threatened, "you always have to find a way to ruin the mood."

She continued reading the words on her phone aloud, "The down-to-earth and compassionate Leo woman often finds herself obsessed with the charming yet often times rude Pisces man."

"Oh, so you liiike me," Khari teased Milo.

His worried face soon turned into one of mischief as he began to advance on the unsuspecting girl. Getting on his hands and knees, Khari crawled to the part of the bed where Milo sat.

She mumbled, "Blah, blah, blah. Unimportant. Ooh, here's something! Ahem, the humble and passive Pisces learns to stand up for himself while teaching his partner to keep her emotions at bay. So, essentially, we were made for each other. Someone should write a book about us."