twenty-nine

Avery stared at the dinner plate on the table as Warren's parents attempted at having a civilized discussion

     Avery stared at the dinner plate on the table as Warren's parents attempted at having a civilized discussion. For Christmas, his mother decided to bring the family in together for a final time to finish out the year. The black tie around Warren's neck made it hard for him to swallow the mashed potatoes in his mouth.

      "So, Isaiah, how have you been these past few months?" Isabell questioned her ex-husband.

     Her diamond earrings glistened seductively against the candlelit table. Isabell layered her hair onto her shoulders whereas Isaiah constantly checked his cellphone for updates from the hospital. His new wife had been admitted to the hospital after pre-pregnancy complications due to eating foods that weren't cooked properly.

     Isaiah placed his phone into his pocket and mumbled, "I've been fine. My wife is carrying my unborn daughter so I'm pretty excited about that. She took Warren shopping for baby clothes last weekend."

     Avery chewed on his plump bottom lip precariously while trying to ignore the confused glances that Isaiah keeps sending him. Warren's dad wasn't aware of his son's relationship yet he had an inkling of suspicion.

      "Excuse me, son? Are you Warren's b—Friend? I don't want to offend you all by assuming anything," Isaiah stammered.

     Warren smiled over the mouthful of potatoes and admitted, "Yes, dad. Avery and I have been together for about six months now. He recently moved here."

     Isaiah nodded his head slowly, trying to process the new information. Isabell twisted the earring in her lobe while smiling warmly at Avery. After her talk with Warren, she began to realize that she was on the verge of losing her son with college right around the corner. She reached across the table and placed her hand over Avery's.

      "It's nice to finally put a title to a name and face, Avery. If you don't mind me asking, how did you two manage to meet?" Isabell sipped her glass of Kool-Aid and rested her head against her fist.

     Avery's face brightened in excitement as he began to recite their first conversation six months back online—save a few negative parts about his parents.
     And for the rest of his night, Warren began to feel a sense of normalcy. His life finally began to fall into place now that his parents split up. The overwhelming toxicity evaporated along with the false sense of romance and intimacy.

     Out of all of his friends, Warren managed to be the happiest despite his past experiences with stress.

* * *

"Merry Christmas!" Miracle's dad cheered as they both entered Cleo's apartment.

Everyone managed to fit into the small living if they took off their coats and didn't breathe too often. Miracle found her way to the Charlie Brown tree and places the boxes underneath before sitting on the couch next to Laila. Mr. and Mrs. Locke rested at the dining table after no one made space for them on the couches or rug.