Chapter 2

Chapter two -four weeks later-
Kate hated her old apartment. So her dad agreed to help her move. They finished the moving yesterday and she just finished the unpacking and sank into her couch when her door bell rang. She sighed and got up. She was in wills old academy long sleeved shirt he left and sweat pants, her hair thrown up in a messy bun. She opened the door and there stood Richard Castle, holding mail. "Hi, I'm Rick, I live a few doors down, 504 and I looks like I got your mail today." He had a soft smile and handed her the envelopes. "Thank you, I'm Kate." She stuck her hand out and shook his hand. "Hello, Kate, your the one who just moved here?" She nodded, "yes, let me go check my mail, I brought it up but I might have yours." She waved him in and he shut the door behind him. She walked to the kitchen and he followed examining her apartment, it was nice and cozy, but something was missing, but he couldn't put his finger on it. "Here, I do have yours." She smiled pulling him from his thoughts. He grabbed the mail from her allowing her fingers to brush over his hand for a moment, it sent chills down his spine. Not only was she breath taking in sweats and a baggy shirt with her hair up, but her eyes, he loved her eyes. "Thank you," he finally said. She nodded, "would you like a glass of water or something?" She offered. "No, but thank you, I have to pick my daughter up from school." He said a little disappointed. "But we should have dinner sometime soon." Kate smiled, "that would be nice, but I hate to ask, what about your wife, or don't you have one?" He shook his head, "I'm a free man," he smirked. "Alexis's mother left when she was young, so it's just me and her." Kate nodded, "I'm sorry-" "don't be, it's nothing, but I have to ask you, what's a pretty girl like you doing without a ring on your finger?" Rick asked tapping her left ring finger. Kate smirked, "yes, because right now I look my best, and my ex, he got a job offer in Boston, and I couldn't leave my dad, or my mom and I just made detective, so he took the job and left." Rick saw the sadness in her eyes but knew it wasn't from her ex leaving, it was something else. But he smiled back and nudged her with his hip before heading towards her door, "well you are drop dead gorgeous and I can't believe any man would leave you for a Job. And your a detective?" She followed him to the door, "yeah, youngest female to make detective." "Congrats, and your what? 24, 25?" "23 actually, turning 24 in November." He smiled and opened the door, "look, I've got to run and grab my daughter, how about we do dinner soon? I'll take you out, and once we get to know each other more, you can meet Alexis." "Sounds good, you know where to find me, ohm here I'll write my number down really quick." She ran to the kitchen and wrote down her number and gave it to him. "I'll see you soon, detective." He smiled and exited shutting the door softly. Kate leaned against the door, Richard Castle just asked her out on a date. Wow. Was she lucky, and he hit on her! Two could play at that game. She laughed to herself and went to settle down on her couch.