Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Kate made her way upstairs and found Alexis' room. "In here Kate!" Alexis called and Kate entered the second room on the left. Her room was purple with butterfly's painted on her back wall. Her bed was high off the ground and a twin size, with a Harry potter comforter. She had her own little bathroom off to the left through a door and she had one closet with two dressers. Her floor was carpet unlike the other rooms and she had a bookshelf on the wall where her door was. "Hey, lex, I really like your room, especially your comforter, you like Harry potter?" The young girl nodded, "daddy read them to me and Im trying to read them on my own now, I'm in book two." Kate raised her eyebrows, she had read all the books too and was surprised as young as Alexis was that she could read them by herself, whether she read them fast or slow. "That's awesome Alexis. You must be very smart. She nodded again, "daddy has the option of letting me skip first grade, but I didn't want too, all my friends are there, although the stuff we learn is easy, it's worth it." Alexis hopped up on her bed and patted the spot next to her, "can I ask you a question?" She asked motioning for Kate to sit next to her. "Sure," Kate sat next to her and the girl curled up into her side. "Are you my daddy's girlfriend?" The question took Kate by surprise, "um, well, we're just friends right now." Alexis nodded and waited a moment. "I like you, Kate, your not mean like his other girlfriends, they never cared what my room looked like or what I liked or cared about." Kate just nodded and ran her hand though her hair and them rested it on Alexis' back rubbing it. "Well I'm sorry, honey, that they weren't nice, but i can promise you that if anything happens between your father and I," Kate paused, should she have this talk with this little girl she just met 20 min ago?" "It's ok Kate, I understand, and I know you won't be mean to me." Kate smiled and kissed the side of her head. It felt so natural. "Do you have a mommy Kate?" Kate's eyes widened, "um- I do- I did, my mommy she, do you know what heaven is?" Alexis nodded, "well my mommy, she had to go there and stay there." Alexis only nodded, "do you miss her?" "I miss her everyday." "I miss my mommy, too, but she didn't have to go to heaven, she lives far away." She paused, "Is it ok to miss my mommy, Kate?" "Absolutely, sweetie." Kate just sat there and let Alexis curl up into her side. She started humming and by the time Rick came to check on them Alexis was sleeping. "Hey," Rick leaned in the door way, "she fell asleep on ya?" Kate nodded, "I didn't have the heart to wake her." "Well dinner is done, so you don't have to feel bad now." He smiled and walked over to her and ran his hand over Alexis' side. "Sweetie," he kissed her forehead, "dinner is done." Alexis sat up and rubbed her eyes, yawning, "sorry, Kate, I didn't mean to fall asleep." "It's alright, kid, go wash your hands and meet me and your dad down stairs." Alexis hopped off the bed and went into her bathroom closing the door.