Chapter 8

Chapter 8
Kate followed Rick down stairs and into the kitchen. She sat on a bar stool and watched him move around effortlessly, grabbing two wine glassed and a bottle, then coming to sit next to her. He turned his chair to face her and she did the same. "I heard part of your conversation." Rick stated after he poured the wine. "Rick I-" "no, Kate, than you, she needed it." "She's adorable, I can't believe her mother could not want to see her." Rick nodded after taking a sip of wine. "I can already tell she adores you, usually it takes her a while to warm up to people, but you, she felt comfortable right away." "Yeah, I'm glad, especially if we are going to keep talking and possi-" before Kate could finish they heard little feet coming down the stairs, "Daddy!" Rick smiled at Kate and turned to get up. He set his glass down and went to the end of the stairs. Kate watched closely. "What, pumpkin?" "I have to ask you a secret." She said standing in a stair so she was level with her dad, "you have to ask me a secret?" Alexis nodded and Kate chuckled to herself. "Come here." Rick leaned in and Alexis cupped her hands around his ear. "Are you and Kate boyfriend and girlfriend, she said you were just friends." Alexis whispered so only Rick could hear. When she pulled back Rick copied her, "not yet, pumpkin. Were just friends." He whispered. Alexis nodded, satisfied. Rick picked her up and brought her to the kitchen. Kate turned and acted like she wasn't watching and Rick set Alexis on her feet, "will you set the table for me sweetie?" Rick asked and Alexis nodded. Rick came from behind the counter and stepped behind Kate placing his hands on her shoulders so his chest was pressed to her back, "you know Kate," he whispered into her ear, "I think Alexis wants us to date." He pulled back and she turned, eyes wide, "Rick-" "shh," he held a finger to her lips, "she asked me if we were boyfriend and girlfriend," he made quote mark gestures with his fingers, "she said she asked you and you said we were just friends, I said the same, but I want to be more than that." Her breath caught and her heart started beating faster, "I'm not saying today or tomorrow, but soon. And well talk about it when were alone." He said gesturing to Alexis who was almost done setting the table. He leaned back in so he could whisper, "I think your beautiful." His words lingered on her ear and he gently kissed the spot below her ear on her neck. Rick pulled away and stared at Kate, she was in a daze and at loss for words, so she only nodded. He smiled and took her hand and guided her to the dinner table.