Chapter 9

Chapter 9
It turned out Kate and Rick didn't have their alone time. Once the week started up Alexis had her bitty ball (little kid basketball) practices and Rick had to drive her and stick around for parent meetings and things. As for Kate she got up bright and early Monday with a triple on her back at 6:00am. -Thursday night- "Kate." Her head snapped up. She starred at her captain, Kate had bags under her eyes and she barley ate all week. The only time she ate were when the boys brought her food, which was greasy take out food, or like on Tuesday night when she got home after her captain sent her home, Rick left a note on her door to stop by to her real food. He was concerned. Rick made sure to call her every night to check on her and when she didn't answer he texted her phone until she called back. She loved the fact he was so caring and concerned. "Sir." "Kate, go home, everybody is long gone, you'll get no where tonight, please, rest up and get food, real food." "But sir-" "no Kate, it's an order and if you don't obey I will suspend you." Kate looked down at the files she was reading and closed them gently and went to place them in her bag, "no," Montgomery said taking them, "home is not work. We need you fully rested tomorrow and I don't want to see your face here until 10 unless I call." She nodded and stood up looking at the murder board that had three innocent kids on there, three kids who should be home tucked safely in bed, with mommy and daddy reading them a bed time story. Kate put her coat on and grabbed her bag and phone and once she got in the elevator she called him. "Kate, hey." "Hi, castle, I know it's late, but can I stop by and see you and lex?" Kate hadn't seen Alexis since Tuesday night when Rick made her eat a real meal and even then Alexis was getting ready for bed. "Yeah," he knew about the case and that it was tough, but didn't know about the victims. "Is everything ok?" "We'll talk when I get there." ... Kate knocked lightly on the loft door and a smiley Alexis answered. "Kate!!" Her little arms wrapped abound Kate's middle and they hugged each other. "Daddy woke me, said you were coming." Kate knelt down to her size, "I'm sorry, kiddo I woke you, I just wanted to see you." Kate looked up and saw Rick watching them but she quickly focused on Alexis again, "go upstairs and I'll be up in a min, I need to talk to your daddy for a second." Alexis nodded and walked off. Kate stood up and slid her shoes off, letting Rick take her coat. He kissed her cheek softly, guiding her into the loft, "what's up?" He asked placing his hands on her shoulders so she would look at him in the eyed. "I just needed to see her, and make sure you and her were ok." Rick only nodded, "go tuck her back in. I'll wait down here." He patted the small of her back gently pushing her towards the stairs. ... "Kate." She turned her head and saw Rick standing in the doorway of Alexis bedroom. She knelt down on the side of the bed, stroking her hair, watching the rise and fall of the young girls chest. She had been crying, he could tell. Come here." He held out his arms and she stood slowly and let her body fall into him. He pulled them out in the hallway and shut the door quietly, "what happened?" She wiped her tears away and looked at him, "the victims were children, Alexis age and I couldn't-" she paused "I couldn't stop thinking about her Rick, she's the only child I know and I've know you all about two weeks but, god Rick, if something happened-" he stopped her by capturing her lips with his. She wrapped her arms around his neck and he placed his hands on her hips. When they pulled away for air they rested their foreheads together. Kate cried silently and he pulled away slightly looking at her. "Be my girlfriend."