1

"Katie, dinner's ready!"

Her mom called from downstairs. She'd been playing a game she had recently purchased, and was doing fairly well at it. She shifted one side of her headset so that it was off her ear.

"Hang on, Mom. Just gotta finish this up"

"Don't you 'hang on' me. Dinner's ready, come down."

Katie lifted her headset off completely and put it on her bed, and saving before turning the console off. She charged down the stairs quickly and was greeted by her father who had just come home from work. Katie and her family all had the same red hair, except she, at 14, was about as tall as a 12 year old. Her brother Matt frequently bugged her about it.

She glanced into the kitchen and saw her mother. Confused, she asked,
"Where's Matt?"

"Probably working overtime again." Her mom hollered from the kitchen, carrying plated food to the dinner table.

The family sat down at the table. Katie lunged for the remote, but her father grabbed it just in time so he could put on the news. Katie glared at him from across the table.
"Let's see what's going on in the world."

He turned on the TV, and had found that every channel was playing the same emergency broadcast. Her mother looked puzzled.
"What's all this about?" She asked, motioning for her husband to turn the volume up.

'-live on the scene. There seems to be a riot on the streets tonight, Denis. Officials report word of an outbreak, a... a virus of sorts. All patients infected were volunteer cancer patients who were subjected to Doctor Eveing's supposed 'cure' for cancer. People have reported the patients had symptoms such as paleness, mental absence, dilated pupils, and some have begun- she gagged. -some have begun eating each other. The reports are flooding in from several states. We ask that you evacuate if you live close to the following hos- a car explodes behind her. -oh my god, oh my god. We need to get out of here. We need to get ou-' the gas station behind her explodes, and the signal from said area is completely lost.

Katie and her family look out the window and see the smoke cloud coming from the gas station. They had lived less than ten blocks away.

"Oh my god." Her mother said, panicked. "We need to get out of here."

"No." Her father said. "Everyone in the entire city that just saw that explosion is going to have the same idea. You heard what was going on. People are going crazy from this virus. They're eating people. We need to stay."

"If we stay we'll die." Her mother said, beginning to tear up.

"We'll wait it out in the basement."

Just then, a thought ran through Katie's head.
"Mom, Dad, what about Matt?"

Her parents looked at her wide eyed.
"We can't just leave him out there to die." She continued. "He's going to die, we can't let that happen, we have to find him."

"Katie we can't." her father said. "It's too dangerous right now."

"If you won't go, then I will." She said sternly.

She ran to the garage, grabbing her bike, and riding down the street. She made it a block when she saw a car turned over. Her neighbors inside it, unconscious. There was a figure, it looked almost human. She looked closely and saw it was a woman in hospital gowns. The woman had begun to eat her neighbor. Katie stopped dead in her tracks. She turned around and sped back home, throwing the bike at their doorstep.