2

Lance had lost track of the time, but it felt like forever. He had no specific destination, he was just going wherever looked like a place his bike could handle going through. A mob of patients had been charging towards him and a woman who had saved him. She told him to run, to leave her to die. She gave him a spare baseball bat and he took off. He looked behind her and saw them reach her. The sinking pit in his stomach told him that she wouldn't win. He wanted to look away, but he couldn't. He just sat there, frozen, unable to move. He watched as they ripped her apart, limb for limb, and sunk their teeth into her split remains. She had been right, those things weren't human.

But the mob had spotted Lance, and as time passed, the mob increased in size, constantly on Lance's tail. He had decided to take a chance and ride his bike through a mountainous terrain, for if he didn't, they'd catch up, and they'd do to them what those things did to that woman. 'That woman'. He didn't even know her name, he only knew her for a few minutes, and then she had sacrificed her life for him. Lance couldn't piece it together. Why did she die to save him? He had concluded that he wasn't worth someone else's life.

His theory proved to be true, as the terrain indeed posed a problem to the patients' collective goal. Lance sighed, for not long after, he realized that the decision impacted him as well, he wasn't able to bike up hills this steep at the speed necessary to escape the threat. By now, the sun had completely set, it was night. His bike had lights, so his sight wasn't effected by the change of time. The problem that came with the lights on his bike was that the patients were attracted to it. He couldn't turn it off. If he did, he wouldn't be able to see where he was going, and that would truly raise the stakes for his survival. He looked up from the floor he was studying and saw the shape of a building in the distance. It was well-lit. What's a building doing out here in the middle of the freaking mountains? A plan began to unfold within his head.

That building would be a great form of shelter. I'll need sleep soon. But if I go, the patients will follow, and I'll die before I get the chance to settle in. The only chance I have is if I turn off my bike light and make a run for it. Lance decided the best way, and possibly his only chance of survival at this point, was turning off his bike light and going as fast as he could in the hopes of getting the patients off his tail.

Lance took a deep breath, fiddling with the button for his lights. He paced himself as if it was a race, turned off his lights, and shot towards the building like a bullet. He alternated between looking at the ground in front of him and the building where he was headed about every half a second or so. He looked ahead, and saw a bike-threatening sized rock planted in front of him. "Shit." he anxiously wheezed to himself. He jerked to the left, a little too far left for his comfort. He looked ahead and his eyes bulged when he saw the ditch waiting for him. Lance panicked, attempting to swerve the bike away from the obvious misfortune, but to no avail, him and his bike lunged forward off the side of the mountain. He landed face first in dusty soil as he watched his bike tumble further down the mountain, thus becoming irretrievable.

Lance attempted to regather himself, but as he heard the distant stomping of the patients he had failed to outrun, there was no other choice. This decision would soon become the stupidest, but the most successful of all of Lance's ideas. He got up and scraped at the side of the ditch, eventually climbing it. Lance gathered his location, relocated the building he had been traveling to, and ran. Lance ran as fast as he could, not caring how loud the sounds of the patients were getting. Even as his feet got tired, and his knees began to ache, he did not slow down. Eventually, he reached the building. He ran around to the front and saw blue glowing letters displayed above the door with a yellow asterisk placed next to it. A Walmart?? Lance thought. But it would have to do.

Lance saw a silhouette standing behind the door. He ran towards the glass door, slamming on it.

"Let me in. Please." He begged. The man looked startled. He looked young, about Lance's age.