4

"Open up!"
The man yelled, he had a team of three others, and a Jeep. They were going around ruthlessly killing and raiding for supplies. They found them. He opened the trapdoor to the basement, aiming his gun at Katie's father.
"Put your hands behind your heads and get on your knees." He yelled. "Get on your knees or I'll shoot!"
Matt had come home just a half an hour ago. Now they were being held hostage in their own house. They wanted their supplies, and even if they gave it to them they would still shoot them. There was no escape. As everyone did as they were told, Katie looked up at her father. He looked her right in the eye. As the man looked away, he nudged at something under his foot.
A gun.
He winked at his daughter.
While the man was still looking away, he let his arm down and picked up the gun. The man turned around at the noise. He fired at her father before he could even cock the gun. The shells hit the ground and the whole world stopped. Her mother screamed and began sobbing, she picked up the gun as well, trying to shoot him. She failed. She was killed as well.
"Anyone else wanna pull something smart?" He asked.
Only Katie and Matt remained. Matt looked fragile, like he was about to break down. He watched as the blood pooled around his parents. Katie couldn't even look.
The men finished gathering and stealing their supplies.
"Oh, and we'll be taking him, too." The man said, pulling Matt away from Katie. As if he already hadn't taken enough from her.
Matt tried to run. The man slammed the gun into the back of his head, knocking Matt out cold. He carried him into the Jeep and he left.
Silence.
Katie fell to the ground, curling up into a fetal position and crying, cradling herself.

"If I was Lance where would I be?"

"Probably dead."

"We can't afford to think like that, Mar."
Ben had been looking for Lance for almost three days, alongside his younger sister Marlene. They were exploring the abandoned neighborhood where they used to live. Every place they explored they prayed the dead body they saw didn't resemble their missing brother's dark brown hair or hazelnut skin. It was scary to both of them. They were putting everything on the line to find someone who they don't know for sure is even still alive. They were left clueless. They couldn't text him, they didn't have any internet, no map.
On top of that, they still weren't used to killing patients. It was off, killing someone who wasn't even acting the way they were on purpose. It was wrong. But they had also killed people who weren't infected. They had been attacked by a group of four people in a Jeep. They had a hostage. They had killed the four when they tried to kill them first. They had taken their guns and all their supplies. They decided to leave the Jeep, though. Since the teen wasn't infected, they let him travel with them. His name was Matt, they found out. His parents had been killed by those men, and his sister and him had been separated.

"So can we find her?" He asked, turning the corner of a building, almost tripping on rubble.

"Don't push it. We're supposed to be finding our brother, not your sister. It's him, then her. Got it?"

"I know, I know, but she should be somewhere nearby if she didn't leave the house. Can we just go l-"

"We don't have time for that. We don't know what's there now. I'm not putting our lives on the line for someone who we don't even know is still alive."

"Isn't that what you're doing for your brother, though? You don't even know if he's still alive but you're still looking for him. Why can't I do the same for my sister?"

"Look," Marlene snapped. "We made a promise to our mother, we swore that we would find Lance. Just because your sister is missing doesn't mean we have to stop everything and-."