Chapter 17

Finally it was lunch time. I slowly made my way to the cafeteria and grabbed my food. Looking around the room, I spotted Aria at the table. It didn't surprise me that Celine and Bella weren't there, I mean, I may have been harsh on them with the whole 'Play the Player' thing.

Ever since that day, they have been less enthusiastic to talk to me - not that I do anyway.

Though the long lecture from Aria to be nice to her friends because they were hurt too, made me feel a little guilty. Eh, I did apologize the next day, if they cannot accept that apology then I've done what I can - it's not my problem they don't like me.

I weaved my way to Aria and sat down across from her.

"Hey." She said and I nodded in reply.

Curiously I asked, "Where's your friends?"

Aria swallowed and then spoke, "Celine has to talk to a teacher and Bella is MIA."

My brows furrowed, "MIA?"

"Yeah, missing in action. Bella said she has to do something and left." Aria shrugged.

Well that rules out they didn't want to hang out with me, I thought with a snort. Aria raised an eyebrow at me. "What?" she asked.

"I just thought that your friends were avoiding me because of what I said to them about the whole break-Leon's-heart thing."

Aria turned a little angry, "You can't blame them! You don't know how it feels to be rejected!"

When Aria saw my face hardened she gasped. Her hand flew to cover her mouth and her eyes widened as she stuttered. "I-I'm s-sorry, I-"

I lifted my hand up to cut her off. My dead eyes never left hers, my voice held little emotion as I said lowly, "You don't know what you're talking about. I do know what it feels like, at least for you it's just boys but I lost my family. Boys can be replaced but family you cannot." I sneered.

Aria looked down in shame, but I wasn't done. She needs to know that being dumped by a boy isn't the only way you can be rejected and that it hurts even more when it's your own flesh and blood.

"My father rejected me, my mother rejected me and I damn well don't need you to tell me that I don't know what it feels like. No Aria, it's you who does not know how it feels." She looked up at me through her lashes and I breathed in heavily, "You will never know what it feels like to come home everyday to an empty house, to walk past your own mother as if she was a stranger."

I shook my head, my emotions were slowly being revealed through my eyes.

The Hurt. Pain. Sadness.

"I'm sorry." She whispered so softly. Tears sprung in her eyes, "I didn't mean it."

I calmed myself and hid my emotions before I spoke, "It's fine - just don't..." I gave her a look that she understood.

We sat in silence for a while until we heard a loud laugh behind me. I turned around only to hold in a groan. Tessa and Leon entered the cafeteria, they looked so happy together that I had to turn my head away.

"They're awfully close." Aria said while staring at them.

"I'll deal with it." I muttered.

She sighed, "Look Jade, I don't think you should-"

Before she could finish that sentence I interrupted her, "No! I said I'll deal with it and I will. I'm not backing down Aria - it's too late for that. I'm not letting Tessa win, someone need to teach her a lesson."

Aria pursed her lips but said nothing. She knew of Tessa's and I little bet but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what she was talking about. I looked towards Tessa and frowned. If only Leon knew what she was doing then I wouldn't worry this much.