Chapter 2 - Life Unexpected

Dayton, Oregon is a quaint little town about thirty miles outside of Portland and is home to around 2500 people. The rich history town is full of family friends event and a town square surrounded by charming shops and restaurants. Wineries and vineyards make for a beautiful picnic stop before heading to the coast. It may not have that big city feel I've grown accustomed to, but it's still a lovely place to live.

My childhood home hasn't changed much in ten years, but the neighborhood has. The young trees of my youth have matured to full shade givers. The children that once ran from house to house are now driving away from the watchful eye of their parents. New home have sprouted up with shade givers of they own. Different neighborhood, but same homey feel.

I enjoy being home, but it had been an adjustment. I went from living with one person to four, and I share a bathroom with two of them. Two boys, two teenage boys. There are smells I didn't know until I used the bathroom after one of them. Never again. That's a mistake I only need to make once.

Having free time is also something I'll have to adjust too. Having an abundance of school work or reading to do is like second nature to me. That's changed. I get to go to bed early and sleep in late. I get to enjoy the last two weeks of summer, including a study free birthday. I was probably nice the last time that happened, and seven the last time I shared it with my parents and brothers.

The week leading up to my birthday isn't what I expect. There is no talk of a party or even a special family dinner. It's like they forgot. When I wake up the morning of my birthday, I hope for some acknowledgment, a card, balloons, flowers; anything, but there's nothing. Not even a text and I thought for sure with his aggressive personality, Nathan would've been the first to say happy birthday.

I roll out of bed to shower around noon. I'm not eager to be around anyone at the moment. In fact, I'm tempted just to take a walk downtown. I can use the time to clear my head. I'm trying not to be sad, but it isn't working. I guess it was foolish to assume some giant celebration would happen. I've been away for ten years, but a birthday hug would be nice.

I get dressed and head downstairs, still hoping for some birthday surprise. Instead, I see a familiar blue glow coming from the living room. I rush into the room to find my dad sitting on the couch next to my mom and Tony. Nathan is standing in front of my dad with his hands hovering over his chest. Either my eyes are deceiving me, or the glow is coming from his hands.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask as I walk into the room. Nathan jumps back, shoving his hands in his pockets while my parents and Tony sit there with guilty expressions. "Is someone going to answer me?"

Tony gets to his feet then he and Nathan start mumbling about Nathan playing some video on his phone. Nathan even pulls out his phone to show me the video, giving their store credibility, but I'm not buying it. Something doesn't seem right, but what I think seems impossible. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

My tears are building and with everyone staring at me, I'm struggling to keep them from falling. I'm angry, hurt confused and embarrassed. Real answers will help, but I know I'm not going to get them. Instead of breaking into tears, I back out of the room then rush out of the house. I need to talk a walk. A long walk and maybe I'll find a nice quiet place to think things through.

My walk takes me downtown where finding a quiet place to think is impossible. Classic cars are lined up along the street. A stage stands in the distance while vendors set up for the last Friday Nights event of the summer. I may not be getting the quiet I was hoping for, but people watching is a good distraction to forget what I saw in the living room.

For an hour I weight the pros and cons of staying in Dayton. New York has Emily and my familiar school, my everyday life. Everything is new in Dayton, but that's not exactly a bad thing. It will be like a small town adventure, complete with great new friends and a chance at some romance. There are reasons to stay, and I want to stay, but only if they all want me to stay.