Chapter 17 - Magic

Silence is all around me. There are no voices, no animals in the trees, not even the whisper of the wind. It's peaceful I feel no pain, no worry, no fear. It's warm too. The cool night air is gone, and so are the sounds of war. I can tell I'm not in the forest. Wherever I am, I'm alone, yet I don't feel alone. I don't have that cozy at home feeling. Yet, I'm cozy. This is strange.

I open my eyes and sit up from the bench I'm laying on. I'm definitely not home. A thin layer of fog blankets the area, making visibility difficult. When I start to walk around, the fog starts to clear. I'm in the park where Marcus and I had our first date. I smile at the memory until I realize Marcus isn't with me. I don't understand. He wouldn't leave me alone. I call out, but I have no voice. Panic sinks in quickly.

I search for anyone who can tell me what's happening, but the park is empty. I walk across the street hoping to find someone in the shops. The first shop is empty, so I continue my search next door. It's also empty and so are the ones across the street. The high school is a ten minute walk away. I cross my fingers and hope to find someone there.

A light breeze blows a newspaper across the street. Everyone has vanished. My brain goes through a list of ridiculous possibilities. Meteor, aliens, mad scientists, even zombies. The only real possibility, is Nathan. But if he did defeat Marcus, he wouldn't hide it. He'd want to rub it in my face. He'd want me to see Marcus' cold, dead body. So, maybe Nathan isn't responsible.

There's no one at the high school. Big surprise there. I step into a nearby classroom and sit at one of the desks. The realization of what's happening came like a switch flipping on. This is because of Nathan but not for the reason I think. I jumped in front of a spell. The spell hit me. I woke up here. This isn't Dayton, just a familiar place to help me face the truth. I'm dead. 

It's the only plausibly explanation. That's why there's no pain or fear, it's why I'm alone but don't feel alone. I don't like being dead. I'll never graduate or go to college. I'll never have babies and watch them grow. I didn't get to say goodbye to my family. And Marcus, my husband, my love. I already miss the warmth of his arms, his soft smile and sparkling eyes. His kiss.

A truth like this would've crushed me if it wasn't for one thought pounding in my heart. If Marcus isn't with me, it means I saved him. That thought alone, puts a smile on my face. His life is too important to end so soon. I'm glad I did what I did. He deserves to live and I hope one day he understands that.

I'll never be physically close to him again, but maybe a few warm memories will help. Soon I'm walking up the front steps of the Cummings home. When I open the door, my stomach turns into knots. The rose petals from our wedding are still on the stairs leading to the backyard. I look down at myself and realize I'm still in my wedding dress.

For the second time, I follow the trail of petals to the backyard. It's still decorated for our reception. I walk to the center of the dance floor and close my eyes. I can almost hear the music playing. I can feel his arms around me. A tear rolls down my check. We deserved more than a few hours of marriage. We were supposed to be forever. Why couldn't we be forever?

I go inside and follow the petals to our bedroom. I stand in the hallway with my hand on the door knob, hesitate to open it. I'll be flooded with memories and overloaded with pictures the moment I go inside. It both saddens and excites me. Reliving memories and seeing pictures will hurt, but I need it. I no longer have a future. To stay close to Marcus, I have to live in the past.

I open the door and hit with an unexpected joy. It feels like Marcus is with me. Maybe it's the magic of the room or the power of our connection, but here, more than anywhere else, I feel at peace. I feel the happiness we had and the love we shared. In this room we are together even though we never will be again.