lascia che ti aiuti

"the king-- now former king-- dedicated more time than ever to his wife. the king decided it was time to step down from the throne and let a new generation lead-- his oldest grandson, prince taehyung."

"good morning, honey." jungkook said as he poured his wife's favorite tea in her favorite cup and put it in front of her.

"morning," she said. "this smells so nice," she took a whiff of the tea. "what kind of tea is it?"

jungkook smiled sadly. "jasmine. it's your favorite."

"ah, right." she remained quiet. "any plans, honey?"

"we're going to taehyung's middle school graduation." he said. "minkyung is coming to pick us up in about an hour." he said, watching as his wife's face lit up at the mention of their daughter.

"i'll go get ready," she said, leaving her tea untouched.

jungkook sighed.

the dementia was only getting worse.

"as the king grew older and approached his mid-seventies, he had already witnessed so much. he had witnessed the wonderful rule of his grandson who was so young when he was crowned, and the positive impact he had on the country. he had witnessed the birth of his second grandson, taesung, who was now approaching the age of seven.

but he had also witnessed the curse on his wife getting stronger and stronger, to the point where she became unresponsive to his words."

"honey?" jungkook said, walking over to his wife, who was sitting on the couch, the static noise of the television echoing through the room. "do you want me to pick up dinner? we don't have to cook."

no response. 

she continued to stare at the hardwood floor.

he placed his hand over hers, looking into her eyes with sadness. he didn't know where the once blinding light in her eyes went. they were consumed by her dementia that had been eating at her memories for almost twenty years.

she blinked twice and whispered, "oh sorry, did you say something?"

jungkook chuckled. "i'm going out to buy dinner. i'll be back soon, okay?"

she squeezed his hand. "okay, darling. i'll be waiting right here."

"the king left the castle for a brief moment to visit his youngest grandson's home. 

but soon a royal guard was riding a horse towards him, screaming the queen's name."

jungkook was on his way home from their favorite fried chicken place-- the smell of chicken engulfing the interior of his car. 

he hummed along to the song on the radio as he turned the corner onto his street, only to drive a few meters before he was blocked by yellow caution tape.

"the queen, your majesty! the queen!" the guard shouted.

jungkook got out of his car and ran towards his house.

only to see it surrounded by firetrucks and police cars.

"'what has happened to the queen?' the king shouted, getting on the guard's horse.

'get going! hurry!'"

"jaein!" jungkook shouted in desperation, trying to run into the flames of the house, only to be held back by police.

"it's unsafe sir! you cannot enter!" the policeman shouted.

"m-my wife! she's inside!" jungkook sobbed, watching as the flames collapsed the second story of the house.

"JAEIN!" he screamed upon hearing the crash, fighting his way out of the policeman's grip.

he dashed towards his house, but tripping on the edge of the sidewalk. he got up with his bloodied hands and face and limped, only to be held back again by the emergency team.

"jaein..." he sobbed. he screamed in agony once the fire was put out, and the firemen came out with no one in their arms.

jungkook collapsed on his knees and sobbed on the concrete floor, not caring for the small pebbles digging their way into his cut hands. 

"the country was thrown into a state of mourning and depression upon hearing the news of the deceased queen."

"the fire appeared to have been caused by stove being left on." the detective explained to jungkook and his family. the group was in the city's police department to find out what caused the fire.

"why would the stove be on?" his daughter cried. "my mother hasn't cooked for months."

"it says on this record that your mother had a severe case of dementia," the detective said. "and you, sir, left to get dinner at the time of the incident, correct?" he asked, with a gentle tone.

jungkook nodded, feeling guilt and regret for leaving his sick wife at home alone.

"perhaps she forgot that you went out to get dinner and tried cooking dinner herself. but, evidence points to the fire being caught on by other materials, such as a oven mitt. the fire might have spread when she forgot she left the stove on to do another task." the detective said.

"i'm deeply, deeply sorry for your loss, mr. jeon. but we retrieved what we could from your house. the insurance company will take care of any damage, and you will get your house back as soon as possible." the detective handed him a plastic bag. 

jungkook stared at the bag and held it tightly in his hands. 

"it's okay," jungkook said. "i'm... not going to live in that house anymore." his daughter held his hand tightly. 

"he will be living with me and my family. it's better this way." she said.

"i see." the detective smiled. "i will inform the insurance agency." he bowed to the jeon family and walked elsewhere.

"is that..." his daughter whispered.

he nodded.

he shoved the plastic bag in his coat pocket and stepped outside for some fresh air.

"this ring belongs on no one's finger but hers." he sobbed.