:(4):

Morty had gathered all of his things in the front room, waiting for his mother to come back inside and help carry his luggage out. 

        "Morty? Are you sure you have to leave so soon?" Beth and Jerry had both grabbed a suitcase, carrying it out the front door. Rick remained in his room. Every once in a while, the sound of shattering glass could be heard as Morty wondered what Rick was doing. All he knew was Rick wouldn't be saying goodbye. "Yea, mom. I-I wanna go now, get settled in and everything. I just think it'll be easier. Besides, I don't wanna be unloading my stuff at ten at night." Smiling, Morty tossed his last bag into the trunk, shutting it while Beth hopped into the drivers seat. 

       "Be safe, Morty." Jerry pulled his son into a long, warm embrace. He remembered doing the same for Summer, "My kids are so big." Wiping his eyes, he ran inside. Morty hopped into the passenger seat, pulling his seat belt around him.

        Beth backed out of the driveway as Morty stared at the house. From a window upstairs, he could see Rick peeking through the curtain, clearly upset, before abruptly shutting it again. 

       Sighing, Morty leaned his head against the window. Having stayed up all night, he figured it would be best if he slept.

       His dreams were haunted by Rick. Angry, sad, betrayed. But never happy. Granted that the Rick he knew was never happy in full, he still wanted to see the small smile he gave. Even if it was just a dream.

       "I just want him to love me..." 

       Beth spent the entire drive wondering what Morty had meant by that, ultimately ending with the assumption that Morty meant his father, and that he wanted him to be proud.