Chapter Four

I sat in a compartment on the train to Hogwarts, taking a seat next to the window to stare at the passing scenery with blank eyes. 'The dementors will be stopping the train soon, if things with Sirius went as they had the first time around. I don't know if I am all that prepared to listen to my mother scream my name again. It was horrible enough the other times it happened.' I held back a sigh, barely registering Pansy's words about Iceland and Blaise's agreement about its' beauty. Draco is sitting beside me, engrossed in a book written in what appears to be French. 'I never knew he could understand French. I wonder if he knows any other languages?' The thought was quickly brushed away, quickly replaced by a countdown. When the train screeched to a halt and my three companions paused what they were doing in slight shock, I stood quickly and aimed my wand at the compartment door. We felt as the temperature dropped and caused frost to cover the window I had been gazing through.

"What is going on?" Pansy's voice reached my ears, frantic and scared.

"Harry, what are you doing?" Draco's wasa next, curious but on edge. I could feel Blaise staring a hole into my back, waiting. For what, though I wasn't sure. I remained quiet, patiently waiting, knowing that one of them would find our compartment soon enough.

As if it heard my thoughts, I watched a skeletal hand reach out and unlock the door before sliding it open. It happened slowly, as though to raise our level of fear for it's own enjoyment. It was working. I was able to smother my fear, but could feel the three behind me as their fear grew; not knowing that this being lived off of fear. I took a few steps back, giving myself some space to cast the spell and brought the happiest memory I could to the forefront of my mind.

Walking into the Room of Requirement, seeing Quirrell there. Knowing it was Voldemort. Meeting him almost properly for the first time. The shock and joy at realizing he wasn't going harm me.

"Expecto Patronum!" I growl out, watching as the mist pushes the dementor away. 'Not a strong enough happy memory to make a corporeal form but still enough to get it to work. It's not like I have any strong enough happy memories anymore.' I let out a heavy sigh and sat back down as the door clicked shut, digging through my bag for chocolate to hand out.They were hesitant at first; Draco eyeing the chocolate with a raised brow before slowly bringing it to his mouth, Pansy taking a few moments before slowly taking it from my grasp and Blaise narrowing his eyes at the offered sweet.

"Explain what just happened." This time it was Blaise who spoke.

"Well, that was a dementor. They are the guards of Azkaban prison, and they are searching for Sirius Black. I've been told once that they are fear itself; they suck all happiness out of you and only fear remains." I keep my gaze out the window, only turning around when the door opened once again and the train resumed moving.

"Harry, are you okay?" It was Remus, looking a little frazzled. The sight nearly made me smile but I simply nodded.

"We are all fine, Remus. I made sure to give them chocolate." 'Good thing I made it a point to study dementors and the Patronus charm over break. That way I could avoid having to explain to him how I knew what those are, as well as how I knew the charm.' I saw as his shoulders relaxed and he slowly made his way back to his own compartment, most likely with Weasley and Granger.

"Who was that?" Pansy asked, still staring at the door. My gaze moved back to the window with a slight smirk.

"You'll find out at the feast, but generally speaking he's my guardian." Nothing else was said on the matter, the conversation going back to Iceland.

It was another 30 minutes before we stood before the doors of the Great Hall, Dumbledore blocking our path. I gazed up at him with a blank expression, feeling the tense unease coming from my three companions.