Chapter Two

Alex was the opposite of Victor.

The smaller boy stood at around five foot six, and contrary to the gang leader, had a more bronzed skin tone. His hair was a rich, dark brown colour and grew in waves that almost bounced when he walked even when his hair was short. Because of his small stature, people tended to think that he was a young teenager, someone that wouldn't say anything if you cut in front of him in a line. While Alex used to be more timid when he was younger, he soon realised that if he didn't stick up for himself, he'd be used as a doormat. Alex Page was not a doormat.

He had just graduated from university, and had his whole life ahead of him. He didn't have a bad bone in his body, and was pretty clueless about the gang culture in this new city. In fact, Alex didn't really have much of a clue about gang culture at all, he didn't come from a huge city where gangs were prominent. In fact, the crime rate was extremely low. He came from a smaller town, it wasn't something like New York or anything. It had a lot of country roads, and a town filled with little local shops and practically no chain companies except for a few. This was a whole new experience for him, so he was almost like a tourist.

He too had heard about this new exhibition opening, and decided that he'd see it. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and he was sure his friends and family back home would be interested hearing about it as they didn't get a chance at things like this at home. He set off relatively early in the morning, seeing as he didn't drive and had to get public transport. He got up just before eight in the morning and started the coffee machine as he went to make his breakfast. Once he had gotten his toast ready and prepared his coffee, he sat down on his couch in front of the TV a caught up with one of his boxsets. It was a perfect morning - the sun was shining, birds were chirping. It reminded him of home, and he liked that.

He soon set off after getting dressed and doing his usual routine, getting everything he would need before heading out of the door and locking it behind him. He walked down the street to the underground station, swiping his metro card and walking through the turnstile. It took a few minutes before his train arrived, but he expected it to be at least a little late - these things were never on time.

Alex was excited, he wouldn't lie. Back home, he'd always have someone on his tails, always someone there. And yes, he loved human company. He could get a long with pretty much anyone but there came a point in everyone's life where you want to be on your own sometimes, you want to be able to savour something, you want to be able to do what you want without someone objecting or having different ideas. That was one of the main reasons Alex moved, for the experience of being on his own without restrictions: the ability to be able to what he wanted, when he wanted without anyone telling him no.

He was daydreaming so much that he very nearly missed his stop, luckily the tannoy in the train was loud enough to snap him out of his thoughts and regain himself. He stood and held onto the handrail as the train stopped, allowing an elderly couple and a girl around his own age exit the train first before getting off himself, smiling and nodding in response when they thanked him. He looked around for a minute after stepping onto the platform, reading the signs to see which one pointed in the direction that he wanted to go in. When
he found it, he walked up the stairs and through the next turnstile and outside to the streets. The art gallery was just up the street from the station, so he didn't have far to walk.

There were a lot of people here already, so he was glad he had left relatively early. He walked inside, looking around to see where he had to pay admission but soon found the donations box. He may have been new to the city but he wasn't stupid - he knew that it was looked down upon to not leave a donation. Even if people didn't see whether or not you had left one, they still knew somehow. As such, he put a fiver through the slit at the top of the box and headed upstairs to the exhibition.

He noticed a fair few people near the beginning, so he decided to start from the end and work his way round in order to avoid a big crowd. Not only was did Alex have a phobia of big crowds, but he was small as well which didn't help his case. He was liable to getting swallowed up in these crowds, it really only took minutes for him to disappear and wonder if he would ever see the outside world ever again.

However, despite his best efforts, he did not miss a crowd. It wasn't a big one, so it wasn't a huge issue but it still made him shudder. A few people left just as he arrived which was helpful, but there was still one guy there. A rather pale, dark haired lanky boy who was possibly slightly older than himself. Despite his looks and his age however, he was standing right in front of the painting. That bothered Alex, it meant that he was unable to see the full picture which meant he was unable to appreciate the art in its whole form. He considered just leaving and going to a different exhibit, coming back later. But he didn't want to do that, he wanted to stand up to this tall lanky boy and tell him how he's being unfair. Plus, more people were likely to be there later so there was a chance that he'd be worse off.

God, if only Alex knew what he was getting into.

"Excuse me?" He spoke up, but the taller boy seemed not to notice.
"Can you move?" He said, giving a gentle but firm shove past him.

Victor looked down at the younger boy, frowning slightly. No one did that to Victor, no one even attempted to talk to him when he was focused on something. Who did this...this child think he was? Okay, maybe that was a bit mean. Plus, it was kind of funny. Amusing that of all people that would've stood up to Victor, it was someone who's face looked as if it belonged to someone who was about five years old.

"Oh, sorry kid. Didn't see you there." He retorted, a slight smirk on his face. Clearly he was some kind of tourist, any sane person from around here wouldn't have dared talk to Victor like that.

That retort only fuelled Alex's feeling of being fed up. He raised his eyebrows a little, coming up with his own witty retort.
"No wonder. Not all of us are abnormally giant." He couldn't help but manage a small smile at his own insult. If you didn't find yourself funny, who else would?

That caused Victor to laugh as well, he liked this guy.
"I'm Victor. Who're you?" He asked casually, deciding that he wanted to get to know him. That was a big thing for Victor - he didn't usually get to know anyone unless it benefitted him.

Alex peered up at the painting in front of him, not realising that he'd been asked for his name until a minute or so later.
"Hm? Me? Alex. Nice to meet you, Victor."

Victor nodded as his response, deciding that he wanted to spend more time with him, contrary to his original plan of leaving once he'd seen the exhibition.
"Do you want to get a coffee or something after this?" He asked, saying it as if they were just friends. As if Victor wasn't planning anything out.

That shocked Alex. Victor didn't seem like the type to ask boys he had just met out for coffee. He's probably thinking too much into it. He'd always been told to get to know someone before you went anywhere with them, but what could be so bad about coffee? It was in public. And he wouldn't go back to his house or anything. At least, he didn't plan on that.
"Sure. Sounds like fun."

That was the moment that their paths crossed, and their lives from now on would be changed forever.