Premise

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto. All characters belong to their creator, Masashi Kishimoto. I only own the time-travel plot here and nothing else.

• • •

Kushina fainted just before the masked man could perform the extraction.

"Falling asleep now?" he murmured. "No matter. When the pain comes, you would be awake all throughout."

It was then at that moment that the surroundings became foggy.

Obito blinked from behind his mask, feeling the slightest bit unnerved by this change in setting. The mist seemed unnaturally thick, and he could not see anything very clearly. It felt more like a blackout than a coverage.

"What is this...?" he muttered, eyeing his surroundings for even the most little of movements. Surely there was no such ninja who could perform an ingenious concealing jutsu that could even mask their own motions. The Sharingan should be able to allow him to detect something odd or out of place, but it came so suddenly...

Surely it could not have come from Kushina herself...

— and then, suddenly, there was nothing. Obito blanked out, wondering what he had been about to do. What was his objective again?

But before he had the chance to think, a flash of yellow came at him. Reflexively, he took out a kunai and defended himself with it, gritting his teeth at his brief moment of inattention.

What exactly happened back there? Obito wondered. Had he managed to extract the Kyūbi from Uzumaki Kushina? Why couldn't he remember anything? And what was with this mist? He couldn't even see if the beast did manage to come out.

Or was this all an elaborate plan set up by the Fourth? The blond-haired man certainly did not seem like he was visually blocked like Obito was, after all.

Obito clenched his teeth once more. Plans were not made to always be followed completely, but this was getting out of hand. He could only hold back the Fourth Hokage for mere moments; he did not have the current power or time necessary for the man's disposal yet.

Not yet...

"What did you do?" Namikaze Minato's voice was as cold as steel, and despite being obviously worried for his wife's condition, his movements remained fluid and controlled. Such was the power of the strongest ninja in Konoha.

After a succession of attacks and dodges, Obito flipped backwards until he was at a considerable distance from Minato. He had to weigh his options at the moment. Fighting him would take too long, and there would be scarcely any golden opportunity like this happening any time soon unless Kushina bore another child.

Minato chose that moment to fall back momentarily as well and immediately rushed towards the direction where Kushina was at. Naruto was already safe and sound back in their home; all that was left was to bring Kushina back safe as well.

When he saw her, she looked exhausted and weary, similar to her state after giving birth at the hideout. Although this time she looked a little more tired, if that was possible; it was probably because of the strain of being forcibly made to stand up and chained through the use of seals after labour. However, Minato knew that she would soon snap out of the haze she seemed to be currently in. Kushina was an Uzumaki; her stamina and endurance was the greatest he had ever seen.

It was then that he heard a loud, almost earsplitting roar.

Minato's head jerked towards the sound, his eyes widening in shock at the sight of the Kyūbi which had seemingly come out from nowhere. It was in Konoha! He turned back to his wife, who looked barely awake but mostly unharmed. Had the masked man really extracted the Kyūbi from her? There was no sign of the seal on her stomach...