Chapter 2.3

Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke stared at their teammate in various expressions of surprise. Naruto only stared back in pure confusion, his mind still reeling. His memories were in conflict with these old ones which he weren't sure were actually new ones or a part of him. The distorted perception made the gears in his mind slow down, needing ample time to adjust and process new information.

Sasuke knew that look and acted fast. "Kakashi," he said in a more level tone than he thought he could manage. "It looks like the idiot became too excited from passing. Care to untie us now?"

Kakashi snapped out of his thoughts and nodded. "All right. Our first meeting as a team will occur tomorrow, same time. We will be going on our first mission. Don't be tardy."

Sasuke scoffed mentally despite the excitement coursing through his veins. What a hypocrite.

After feeling the ropes loosen their hold against him, he waited for Kakashi to finish untying Naruto before proceeding to drag the dazed idiot out of the training grounds.

"We'll be off first," he called out.

Kakashi raised a hand in acknowledgement before poofing out of existence, desiring to read more of his book in privacy. Sakura, on the other hand, raised an eyebrow at Naruto's weird actions but shrugged it off.

Maybe Sasuke-kun's right and he just became too excited from passing. Sasuke-kun can knock some sense into him. She repressed the urge to squeal out loud. All right! We passed! Sasuke-kun and I are now going to be in the same team forever~! Kyaaaa!

• • •

"Sasuke? Hey!" Naruto stared at him, wide-eyed. "What happened to you? Why're you—"

Sasuke promptly let go of him and crossed his arms across his chest. "All right, explain."

"Explain what?" Naruto blinked. "But I don't know how we got to be little again —"

Sasuke's chest soared a little with hope. Could it be...? Was Naruto...?

"But, hey!" Naruto's eyes darted around. "Where's Kaguya?!"

Sasuke's eyes widened. His mouth wanted to open, to speak words yet even though unformed died on the tip of his tongue. This was it. He wasn't alone. He was right. His gamble was correct.

Him and Naruto...

Indra and Ashura...

The Sage of the Six Paths' legacy...

It truly was like fate.

"Ugh..." Naruto suddenly groaned, putting a hand to his head. "My brain feels like it's spinning wildly... I'm so confused right now...! What the heck —"

"I'm glad you're here."

Naruto froze in surprise, his head snapping towards Sasuke. The latter actually had the smallest of smiles on his face, and relief seemed to shadow his expression. It only served to puzzle Naruto even further.

"Hey, of course I'm here!" he declared, pointing a finger at Sasuke challengingly. "I'll always be here to kick some sense into your thick head, bastard!"

"Heh. As if you'd even manage to land a hit."

"What was that?! Why I oughta — !"

"Naruto." The change of tone in Sasuke's voice made Naruto stop his antics. "If you still haven't figured it out yet, sit down and meditate. It will help."