Intermission 01: The Slow, Small Variations

"We cannot," Minato said in a serious tone of voice.

"If the masked man tried to control the Kyūbi, then it must mean that he has the Sharingan. What he attempted to do is similar to the way Uchiha Madara did in the past," said Danzō calmly, though his lone eye was narrowed slightly, indicating his inability to find the situation reasonable. "That means that the Uchiha Clan has to be put under suspicion. Who knows what else they are planning... or rather, capable of."

"And what if they are innocent?" Minato said, apparently not backing down on this argument. "If you and the Council fear that the Uchiha Clan will control the Kyūbi with the power of their Sharingan, that... is only the legend of Uchiha Madara. Since then, no one has done something like that, and the masked man who attempted the act bore no Sharingan. Perhaps it is either for that reason that he failed, or because Uchiha Madara was the only one who could do it."

Danzō stayed silent, his eyes remaining narrowed.

Minato's stance was adamant. "Sowing this seed of discord would cost us the trust of one of the oldest and honourable clans in Konoha, not to mention the possibility of a civil war. I shall not allow it."

The emotionless façade Danzō was painting on his face was now scraping away little by little by the growing hint of anger in his features. "Yondaime-sama, don't think that mere words and promises can satiate hatred." He made a dull noise in the back of his throat and proceeded to walk out of the room.

Minato's gaze on his back was unwavering.

Before Danzō disappeared from sight, his form stopped by the doorway.

"If they are indeed perpetrators or the masterminds of the attempted treason towards the village, Yondaime... It is you who will regret ever giving them a worthless chance."

• • •

"I'm home," Minato sighed, taking off his shoes before stepping into his and Kushina's apartment.

"Welcome back!" Kushina's cheery voice greeted from the kitchen. The smell of soup drifted into his senses, indicating that his wife was already making dinner at this time. "You're here so early. How was work?"

Minato smiled, following the direction of her voice. "Tiring. Sarutobi-sama sent me home to rest and told me he'd take care of the minor matters concerning the village."

Kushina's head craned towards him, her expression displaying grim concern. "The funeral for Biwako-sama is in a week, isn't it?"

Minato nodded somberly. "It seemed that Sarutobi-sama wanted to keep his mind off his wife's death by working," he said. "I let him."

Kushina sighed, thinking of the cranky old woman who unfortunately died by the masked man's hands. Sarutobi Biwako wasn't the most cheerful person around, but she wasn't always stiff and grumpy. She loved children and smiled and laughed a lot around them, as shown when she encountered Mikoto's son and when she held Naruto in her arms.

"The old man really needs to be reminded that he's retired already," Kushina said, trying to lighten up the atmosphere a bit. "But I guess old habits die hard."

Minato managed a smile.

She stared at her husband. "By the way, did anything happen at work? You look pretty tired." Her words were laced with concern.

Minato slumped on a chair, sighing. "Danzō-sama insisted that the Uchiha Clan be isolated from the village 'temporarily' and transferred into one place in order to keep an eye on them since after the Kyūbi incident, the elders have been suspicious of their 'secret activities'. He suspects that the masked man has a Sharingan."