Chapter 4.1

VOLUME 04: CRADLE

They arrived at Suna in record time, with Konno giving them profuse thanks for protecting him effectively and promised to send good word to both the Hokage and the Kazekage. Steel had already dispersed, letting go of their hatred for an apparently dead man and finding a way to make a living after Konno himself persuaded them to make a new life for themselves since they were no longer locked up in cages, but free from their chains. With that, Konno and Kiji went on their separate ways, swearing that they would forget about each other from now on.

It was a good thing that no one was killed in their massive battle. Kakashi noticed that it gave Sakura a semblance of peace after knowing that. She was a trained ninja, but she was still young. From what he had gathered from her parents, she also harboured some insecurities of her own, and she felt too hesitant to fight someone. If she'd ever make her first kill, Kakashi would have to make sure that she was at least twelve or thirteen before doing it.

"Well, now that our mission's done," drawled Kakashi. "You three can go tour Suna if you like. We leave in three days after the sandstorm calms down. I'll see you at the nearest inn by the gate. Bye!"

He poofed out of existence before any of his three genin could question him.

"That stupid teacher... running off whenever he feels like it," Naruto grumbled.

Sakura looked around, mesmerized. Sunagakure may be a village hidden in the sand, but it had an almost otherworldly beauty about it in the way it was different from other countries. The weather was practically hot and a little smothering, but there were some interesting sights to see. The villagers looked at them with curiosity, and there were no hostile gazes so far. Of course, since Suna and Konoha were allies at the moment, no one wanted to break the peace treaty between the villages.

"Let's go look around," Sasuke suggested quietly, already walking ahead of them.

Naruto frowned, catching up to him. "Hey! Wait for me and Sakura-chan!"

Sakura lagged behind, still enthralled by the foreign country. It was her first time being outside of her home village, and it felt a little refreshing and scary at the same time.

"Hey, Sasuke," Naruto said. "Where do you think Gaara might be?"

"I don't know," Sasuke said neutrally. "Why don't you go find him yourself?" He turned around a corner, not even waiting for Naruto's response.

"Eh?! Hey, wait, Sasuke!" Naruto whirled around. "Sakura-chan — huh?!"

Sakura was nowhere in sight.

"...Why're you guys leaving me?" Naruto pouted. "All right, fine... I can find him on my own... Just you wait and see..."

Naruto walked aimlessly with his legs carrying him, his thoughts occupied by a chibi him throwing darts at a bull's-eye with chibi Sasuke's expressionless face on it. "Heh... Take that, ya smug bastard..." he muttered to himself in satisfaction, not noticing that he was about to hit a fence.

When his head collided with wood, he reeled back in pain, clutching his forehead in agony.

"Ow ow ow! That hurt!" Naruto complained, feeling a sore spot starting to form. "Stupid wall..."

Someone sniffed nearby in surprise, catching Naruto's attention.

"...A—Are you... okay...?" The voice seemed hesitant.

Naruto immediately turned to the source. As his senses became aware of what was around him, he noticed that he was in a deserted playground. There were no kids playing seesaw or sitting on the swings. Just a lone boy about his age sitting by the sandbox, his sky-blue, pupil-less eyes staring at him in confusion.