Chapter 5.7

When Sakura came to, her vision was blurry, and her head was aching.

When she tried to adjust her eyes to the surroundings, she could make out dark silhouettes of trees and leaves, with the shining moonlight as the only illumination. It was a crescent, she saw as she looked closely.

The next thing she noted was the light from a campfire. She hadn't noticed it since it was in her peripheral vision, but when she craned her head slightly to the side, she could see a few figures huddled near the burning firewood, seemingly arguing amongst themselves. Even in this darkness, she could make out Naruto's bright, spiky blond hair, even though it was bathed in dark-blue hues. She couldn't recognize who the others were at the moment, but the dull pain at the back of her head brought her back to reality.

What happened...? she wondered to herself, faintly recalling bits and pieces of cruel, dull green eyes and a merciless earthen fist. It reminded her of how helpless she was, especially back when they fought that goddess—

Wait—

Sakura instantly sat up, strongly ignoring the aching response coming from both her body and her head. Her mind was spinning, but her hearing was perfectly fine, for she clearly heard the voices around the campfire come to an abrupt stop at her sudden action.

She was about to turn her head towards them when she suddenly felt a cold hand press against her forehead.

"Don't exert yourself," a painfully familiar voice drifted into her ears, causing her heart to throb in response. That voice belonged to the one whom she had been searching for, the one who she wanted to save so desperately. The one who tried to destroy her village, but also the one who helped them fight against the woman who wanted to destroy the entire world.

"Sasuke-kun!" she immediately cried, finding his figure and wrapping her arms around his neck, tears streaming down her face.

"H—Hey!" he cried out, and she noticed that his voice was actually quite high-pitched than what she remembered, and less deep.

But she knew that it was still him.

"L—Let go," he said, almost weakly, as he rested a hand on her shoulder. "Sakura. You're... holding on too tight."

"Oh! Sorry!" she apologized, instantly letting go of him. Blinking back the tears, she stared at him. This time, taking him in fully. Seven years old, with chubby cheeks and wide black eyes. He was so cute, but she held herself back, for everything seemed to finally click inside her mind.

"Wait, is this the pa—?!"

A hand instantly cupped her mouth, silencing her words. Almost at the same time but lagging by a fraction of a second, another hand joined in, this time by her other teammate.

Both of them looked at her with imploring expressions on their faces, and Sakura could see Sasuke's head shaking slightly, a 'no' signal.

Sakura understood and kept her mouth shut, but her mind was still reeling.

"Sakura-san!" Lee's voice drifted into her ears, his voice laced with concern. "Are you feeling all right?!"

"Lee, don't pressure her," Tenten said almost immediately, as if she had expected him to say it. "She only just woke up."

Lee instantly looked apologetic. "I... I am sorry for my rudeness...!"

"Sakura," Neji piped up, his pale eyes resting their gaze on her. "Did you have something you wanted to say?"

Sensing that it was safe, Sasuke and Naruto retracted their hands, still looking at Sakura with resolute expressions.

"O—Oh..." she stammered, swallowing the lump in her throat. "N—Nothing! Nothing at all." She slapped herself internally. Why was she stuttering? It was suspicious!