0.7

Two and a half weeks. It took Archie and Alex's mom two and a half weeks to get to Riverdale after their father's death. When she did arrive it was around 11 AM when she walked into the house to see her daughter walking downstairs with tools. Alex should have been at school but she hadn't gone since she broke her wrist and she didn't plan on going back.

"Where's your brother?" Mary asked and Alex set down her tools.

"At school." Alex said and Mary nodded. "Before you ask why I'm not there, I don't want to go back. I was thinking of asking you if it'd be okay if I did some sort of homeschooling. I know dad wouldn't have let me go on without some sort of education and I think I'd learn a bit better if I did it kind of on my own terms."

"Okay." Mary said and they spent the hours before Archie got back talking about different options there were. "Did you have a chance to tell them?"

"Yeah, I did." Alex said and Mary hugged her. Alex went to the fridge and grabbed the milkshake that Cheryl had brought over before school. Alex had practically had nothing but milkshakes and whatever real food she ate whenever Alice or Hermione had stopped by.

"Who's been watching you?" Mary asked and Alex sat down next to her mom.

"Alice Cooper and Hermione Lodge." Alex said and Mary nodded. "Normally I'd go to work with Hermione and help the guys move things, but she decided that I needed a break."

"When did this happen?" Mary asked pointing at her arm.

"The night after I broke up with my girlfriend. I guess everything hit me at once and I couldn't really take it, not to mention that my game was being really slow and it caused me to lose my streak." Alex said and Mary nodded. "Alice suggested that once you get here if I was still really angry to get medication for it."

"You always were a firecracker weren't you?" Mary asked and Archie walked in, grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and walked towards the door. "Aren't you going to say hi to your mother Archie?"

"Hey mom, it's nice to see you." Archie said hugging his mother. "Alex when are you coming back to school?"

"Um, never." Alex said smiling. "Mom agreed to let me do homeschooling. That way if I break down or just can't focus, I can take a break and it not be talked about by everyone."

"Okay." Archie said and Alex sat up slightly. "Well, I need to leave, Mrs. Lodge is waiting for me."

"Where are you going?" Mary asked and Archie ran out of the door. "Why is he in such a hurry?"

"He has football practice until like 5 and then works on his music until around 8 normally." Alex said and Mary nodded. "Are you staying in Riverdale?"

"I'll be here most of the time, but I'm needed urgently for a case, I have to go back." Mary said and Alex smiled. "But I'm thinking of maybe setting up here in Riverdale, give me something to do so I don't get bored."

"That's great." Alex said smiling. "Maybe I could help you with your work instead of lifting heavy things everyday."

"I want to talk with Hermione about you working too." Mary said and Alex turned on the TV. "What are we watching?"

"I'm in the mood for Happy Tree Friends, but I'll settle for Futurama." Alex said and Mary nodded. They watched TV until Mary started dinner and invited Alice, Betty, Polly, Veronica, and Hermione over for dinner.

"Hey Alex!" Polly said hugging Alex excitedly. "It's been a long time."

"Yeah, it has." Alex said before sneaking a glance at Veronica. "I never got the chance to tell you I'm sorry about Jason."

"There you go again, always thinking about others. I'm getting over Jason, but it matters a bit more how you are feeling." Polly said and Alex shrugged. "Well, I'm here to talk if you ever need to."

"Thanks." Alex said before going to her room to change for dinner. "Hey Alice."

"Hey Alex." Alice said hugging the tall redhead girl. "The Blue and Gold thinks you need to start showing up if you're going to be a part of it."

"About that... I'm homeschooled now, so I can't really do that." Alex said and Alice nodded. Archie ended up bringing Jughead with him and everyone ate like a big dysfunctional family, awkward pauses when the mothers went to talk with each other.

"Hermione, my daughter tells me she's been working for you." Mary said and Hermione nodded.

"I originally planned to keep her and Archie in the trailer with me and make sure that they were okay, but they were bored and decided to go work." Hermione said and Mary nodded. "Archie went back to school and Alex asked if she could continue working."

"It's a bit more productive than punching things to let my anger out. Besides all of the guys working are super nice and normally someone always brings me a milkshake on my breaks." Alex said smiling.

"You've been drinking a lot of those." Archie said pointing to the trash. "Are you sure that's healthy?"

"No, it probably isn't but I mean, it's happiness I can drink." Alex said and Archie nodded. "Besides someone took all of the alcohol out of the house."

"You shouldn't be drinking anyways." Mary said and Alex groaned. "It's illegal Alex."

"I get that it's illegal, but I don't care." Alex said taking a bite of the alfredo her mother prepared. "This is good."

"You're not becoming addicted to alcohol." Hermione said and Alex shrugged before taking a drink out of the bottle of Gatorade in front of her. "When do you want to go grocery shopping Alex?"

"Friday, maybe my mom could come with?" Alex asked and Hermione nodded.

"Your mother could take you." Hermione suggested and Alex shook her head.

"I want both of you to some." Alex said and Archie looked down. "And Archie, we can do it after school."

"Actually Friday is busy for me." Archie said and Veronica looked at him. "I'm working with the Pussycats on a gig. Benefit to raise some money to keep Andrews Construction alive."

"Oh, maybe I could help?" Alex asked and Archie shrugged. "I mean, I am the one who learned guitar first and I could play some of dad's favorite classic rock songs at it?"

"Yeah, I'll talk to Josie about it." Archie said and Alex shook her head. "What?"

"I'll do it, she likes me better Archie." Alex said smirking. "Most of the girls in Riverdale like me better after all."

"It's kind of true." Polly said looking at Alex.

"Whatever." Archie said and Alex gave him an apologetic look.