03 | coffee & crushes

0 3

coffee & crushes

TEDDY TOLD ME to meet him at his place of work the next day. I guess it was supposed to be an informational meeting or something, which would be great because I wasn't entirely sure of what I was supposed to do here. I had awoken to the sound of his text alert, a shrill vibrating noise against the solid wood tabletop of my nightstand that made me wince hard, my eyelids clenching together and not letting go, in hope that I would hang on to some of the sleepiness that was fading from my mind.

"Good morning," I heard someone say and for a second, I thought it was Teddy and I was about to lose my mind. But my eyes finally decided to give up, fluttering open to find my roommate, Laney standing there instead.

Delaney Cooke and I had known each other since senior year of high school and we became good friends when we winded up going to college together. Now four years later, we were roommates trying to make ends meet in the big city. It was tough, being two girls struggling to secure something that could be considered good and worthwhile employment, but we made rent each month and that's all that mattered.

Of course, with my maid job potentially in jeopardy and a new career soon to be lined up for me, things were nearing becoming a lot different. Those changes would affect her as well as me in the long run, but right now, I wasn't sure how the hell to explain what I had gotten myself wrapped up in to her.

"Good morning," I said, taking a moment to stretch my limbs out before folding them back in and rolling over in bed.

"Lyn, wake up," she said and before I knew it, I felt a pillow crash into my head, making me yelp in surprise. "Some number has been hitting your line all morning. And it's not that baseball boy, so I don't think you should ignore it."

I groaned for two reasons; one, Laney bringing up my ex-boyfriend out of the blue like that when she knew how he made me and two, the realization that my stomach was empty hit me like a bus.

"Laney, can you make me breakfast please?" I begged, turning back to face her so I could put on my most charming face that I could put together at why-am-I-up o'clock in the morning. "I promise, I'll do whatever you want me to."

Laney just narrowed her eyes and I knew that a big storm was coming. "The last time you said that, I asked you to pick up my boyfriend's grandmother from the airport —"

"I did it, though," I said in a matter-of-factly manner, cutting her off.

"Yeah," she sighed, closing her eyes and pinching her temples, "but almost five hours later. She had fallen asleep and some kids on a school field trip drew on her face and he had gotten mad at me for trusting you to do that. So no, no pancakes for you. There's a box of cereal in the pantry and I think we still have some clean bowls. Go knock yourself out, kid."

"Y'know," I started, trying to hopefully throw her off, "how is Kevin doing? I haven't seen him lately, I used to love our little talks."

"What talks?" Laney asked, only causing me to chuckle.

Laney's boyfriend, Kevin, had been planning an engagement for her for the longest time now, but he didn't really know how to get it right. She and her family weren't on the best of terms for the past two years or so, meaning that he didn't really have anyone he could rely on for help and he was still mad at me about the grandma thing. That is, until he realized I was his best resource and he forgave me for the whole debacle, so sometimes we meet for drinks and discuss planning it out for her.