11 | teens & problems

1 1

teens & problems

-

I MUST'VE BEEN the worst spy ever. While the prospect of spying on my bosses had been interesting when it was proposed to me by Teddy Burke, I had been back at work so many times since and I still hadn't picked up any leads. Thankfully after dispelling the notion that just because I would sell out my boss didn't mean I was easy in other ways, Teddy dropped the idea that I should seduce George - at least just temporarily. So now we were back to square one, which was taking every possible chance I could get to snoop around the house. But I had no idea where to start. The sisters were always onto me and when they weren't, I was actually doing something that required my focus.

Like now, I was trying to fish one of Sadie's bras out from behind the bed where she lost it.

"Why is one of your bras behind the bed anyway," I asked after refraining to for so long. It seemed rude of me to ask, but the curiosity was just eating at me alive and this was the only way to get rid of it.

"Jackson came over," she said with a shrug as if that answer explained everything. At my questioning look, she added, "we made out and he accidentally threw my bra behind the bed when he was taking it off."

I nodded, accepting that much. I didn't need to know anymore before her parents found out she had guys over and then found out that I knew she had guys over.

"Well why am I the one picking it up? Can't he do it? Or better yet, you?"

She rolled her eyes. "It's literally your job to do these things. Maybe not these things, but you're like our servant."

Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. But to play on her level would be to act like a child - nothing that wasn't within my reach, but also not the best way to handle this kind of situation. So I just took it with a smile and regard of the fact that her power over me had the possibility to be stripped away from her and that she might as well enjoy it while she could. Even if the embezzlement accusations were just accusations and they weren't grounded in reality, I didn't plan on working here for more than a month anyway. I was sure that Teddy would help me find a job either way.

There were plenty of dust and cobwebs behind the bed, and I felt my skin crawl as my fingers felt around through them. Thankfully there were no spiders because I had already checked for them with a flashlight before accepting this task in the first place.

With some serious stretching, I finally found the damned bra and withdrew it from behind the bed. It was covered in dust, but still looked better than anything I could ever afford to own. I held in a sigh, tossing it onto her bed before taking a bow.

"At your service," I said when I came up. Sadie scoffed in annoyance, making me chuckle as I walked out.

-

THE HALLS OF the Gates' household were the last place I felt like walking through, but this was my golden opportunity to make some progress with my mission. I knew Selena was in the kitchen right now and I had formulated a good enough excuse to be in their bedroom, so that was my first plan of attack. Everyone kept their personal stuff in their bedrooms, meaning that there was a high possibility of George keeping some of his business-related documents in there.

Pushing the door open, I was greeted with the sight of a large king-sized bed in the middle of the massive room. On one side, it was furnished with a more masculine aesthetic with a wooden desk and plain black leather armchair. The dressers were made of dark oak as well and they were adorned with pictures of George and the children. I was certain this was George's side of the room, so I started there, scanning all of the documents on the desk.