27 | major & minor

2 7

major & minor

IT WAS A tidy room, that I could tell for sure. Beyond that fact, I didn't know what else I was expecting. I mean, I was stepping into the office of a wealthy businessman, not the den of an evil monster. I wasn't scared that I would see dead bodies and cobwebs hanging from the ceiling, but a neatly polished room wasn't what I had pictured. Maybe some wayward papers strewn about or an overflowing trash can — just something to give the appearance that sinister things happened in this room. Instead, I was met with shiny hardwood floors, an expensive-looking oak desk with a swivel chair tucked into it, a shelf lined with books and houseplants, and a file cabinet up against it.

I had no idea now how I would rifle through his belongings to find the things Teddy told me I should look for. I wanted to call him, but he was doing God knows what, and by the way he would describe it, it seemed as if he needed to do it alone in order to ensure its success.

Quickly, but gently enough to not make a sound, I closed the study door behind me. I was here to find a Cartier necklace, but I was also here to find anything that could help Teddy with his case. Since I saw neither of those things out in the open, it meant I had to go through the drawers after all.

I made my way over to the desk on my tip toes before I realized I was alone and there was no need for me to do so. This was already shaping up to be one hell of a night.

LEAVING THE ROOM, I was careful to keep my phone out of sight. Not being one who understood financial documents, I just took as many pictures of whatever I could find, hoping that it was what Teddy was asking for. In the moment, what mattered was that at least I held Selena's necklace in my hands as well. If that weren't the case, then I knew she would wring my skinny neck, I had no doubt in her abilities to do so.

The end of the hallway deposited me back into the party, but I thankfully went unnoticed by the strangers all around me. They were all too busy wrapped up in their own affairs, drinking expensive champagne and clutching their stomachs as they laughed a little too hard to be realistic at their friends' anecdotes. I didn't want to be here anymore, especially now that I had soured things between Caleb and I. I just didn't fit in here, I had no one to talk to.

I stood up straight, solidifying my resolve. I just needed to give Selena this necklace and be on with my way, I wasn't even required to stay for the whole time at this party. Especially since Caleb happened to be nowhere in sight and he was my date. 

Thankfully, I spotted the woman in question, talking with another woman by the fireplace. They were both dressed elegantly, clearly having put effort into their looks while I felt as if I had rolled out of bed in the clothes I were wearing, making me extremely nervous to approach them.

But I didn't have to right now, the night had other plans for me.

Those plans being a very drunk, disheveled Caleb stepping in front of me out of nowhere and blocking my path. "Marilyn," he said as he pointed an accusing finger at me, rather loudly too, "I need to talk to you."

Taking a quick glance around the room, there were definitely a few pairs of eyes on us — and even that seemed to be an understatement. Looking past Caleb's tall frame, I could even see Selena scowl at me from where she stood. When Teddy was the one who had me spying on my bosses, I was surprised that it was Caleb who was putting my job on the line.